Who knows what could have become of "Roger" Barrett had he not succumbed to his excesses. He did lots of acid, but they say he was a bit unstable anyways. Kinda funny, I was listening to the radio today where the dj made a three-song tribute to Syd's passing. Welcome To The Machine, The Lunatic and Shine On You Crazy Diamond were played. I'm thinking, "Why don't they play something written by Syd Barrett and not 'about' Syd Barrett?" I know the name "Pink Floyd" would not exist without him, but I can't say whether or not his input in the early years had any effect on the outcome of Pink Floyd. So long Syd, I hope you finally got it together.

They didn't really put out anything worth listening to until Gilmour took over.

Quite possibly...still, almost all of Pink Floyds later material lyrically derived inspiration from Syd's demise and the influences that made him a "wack job" and suseptible to such excesses. The whole creative experimental sound and light sculptures that became the modus operandum of pink floyd were created in the atmosphere of the sixties and when barrat was still pivital, so the assessment is a little unkind...

All the same, I once played in a band that played a few old floyd covers cause one member of the band was a big fan and I must say, I never really got it then and probably wouldn't listen to it now. Still, the influences were clear and syd must get some credit for creating the blueprint and inspiration for what was to come from the band.

It is a warning, along with people like Peter Green about how none of us are immune from the effects of an excessive lifestyle on mental health. At the time of his breakdown they were very successful and about to break in america...perhaps things would have been different today if he were strong enough to continue in his wacky ways.

All sympathy and credit to Syd and the floyds who carried on his vision and made something of his life for him in their music...RIP

It is a warning, along with people like Peter Green about how none of us are immune from the effects of an excessive lifestyle on mental health. At the time of his breakdown they were very successful and about to break in america...perhaps things would have been different today if he were strong enough to continue in his wacky ways.

Kind of like the Brian Jones mystique. I never understood that much. Seemed to me that Jagger and Richards were responsible for all the best songs. And that the Stones came into their own as Jones was fading out.

I can't say I'm a huge or devoted fan of Syd Barrett, but I really do enjoy some of the work they did with him onboard. In particular, "Jugband Blues" was a REAL and tangible eye-, ear-, and mind-opener for me when I first listened to it.

A friend had made me a Floyd mix tape-- this is when "Learning to Fly" was a current single, so obviously they had already gone through the Waters era and were well into the Gilmour era. And that's what I was really juiced up about. Man, Learning to Fly... there was a song for me... and yet on this compilation tape were a few really.. er... odd songs, including Jugband Blues, Bike, and Astronomy Domine.

These were in the days of cassette tape, and I never really got into the fast-forwarding thing, so I'd just listen to them. And damned if they didn't creep into my psyche. Before long, I looked forward to hearing them in the same way that I looked forward to "Learning to Fly" and "Young Lust."

I won't pretend that I'm "grieving" per se... but much respect to Syd and I hope he's in a better place, one without the mental illness that was his curse.

Greg

Funny, I was just explaining how Syd didn't die back in the seventies to someone last friday, and then this happens the same day. I for one think the Syd era Floyd put out some cracking tunes. Songs like Pow R. Toc H., Lucifer Sam and The Gnome are just great songs.

Another one off to the great gig in the sky, although Syd probably won't be joining in on any of the playing.

Syd Barrett, although he had only modest success with the band itself, was a huge part of their success. As psw said, many of their greatest songs are derived from the fact that he did lose stability, and the impression that left on them.

When they were recording 'Wish You Were Here', Barrett visited the studio at the moment they began recording 'Shine on', and noone recognized him for awhile, and many of them broke down when the finally saw what he had become.

Syd Barrett, quite possibly, is one of the most influencial persons to have ever graced rock music.

I'm going to see Roger Waters in September, and I can sense now that he will make a point of honoring Syd.

Edited by matttheguy
  • 2 weeks later...

To say Syd was a whack job, although he -did- do a lot of drugs (but who didn't in his circles?), is like saying someone suffering from cancer is lazy, or someone suffering from Alzheimers should just get a life.

The dude had a seriously debilitating disease, and in spite of that, before it hit him hard, was intensly creative and left things to this world you or I will probably never do.

To say Syd was a whack job, although he -did- do a lot of drugs (but who didn't in his circles?)

Exactly. He should be on DARE posters everywhere, unfortunately nobody really knows who he is...

Drak, if you knew me at all, which is painfully obvious that you don't, you would know that I would never claim that a cancer patient is lazy, or that an Alzheimer's patient should get a life.

The fact that he was a "whack job" is a great misunderstanding of his ailments and condition. The man had mental diseases. LSD does not CAUSE these sort of ailments, but may help clarify them, or bring them to the surface. The fact that he went 'crazy' has more to do with how his brain worked than the drugs he did.

Plus, Syd Barrett was not an important man for just the music that he did. Sure, one could argue it wasn't Pink Floyd's best, and that Gilmour was the addition that helped propel the band, but in fact, that's just an oversimplified view on the matter. Syd Barrett is important and should be remembered for the great influence he had on the life and creative visions that he helped put in to these men's (especially Waters') minds.

To call him a "whack job", to me, is a great insult to the man.