Factors In Router Setup

RobSm

Hi, I'm a relative newbie.

I'd like some general advice on the factors involved in choosing the size of a router bit and also the speed.

Because of my lack of experience I'm very iffy about running my router on high speeds...are high speeds good? When do you choose them?

I've read to use the biggest bit possible. Are there limits or qualifications to this?

All advice gratefully received.

RobSm.

IME, I run higher speeds almost always. Though I am sure tearout in softer materials may be more common with higher speeds. But the best advice I can give is collet size. If you can run the 1/2" collet and bits You will find a more stable cut with less bit chatter.

HTH,

R-

My understanding (and I'm not an expert on this, as my router only has *one* speed) is that when you particularly want to slow down the speed of the bit is when you are using larger diameter bits. (The outside of a larger diameter bit will be spinning faster than the outside of a smaller diamer bit at the same RPM) Many places will specify the safe operating speeds for bits they sell, at least when it's a major concern.

Hi, I'm a relative newbie.

I'd like some general advice on the factors involved in choosing the size of a router bit and also the speed.

Because of my lack of experience I'm very iffy about running my router on high speeds...are high speeds good? When do you choose them?

I've read to use the biggest bit possible. Are there limits or qualifications to this?

All advice gratefully received.

RobSm.

Here's a good rule of thumb in regard to speed

"Bit Diameter" "Max.Speed"

1" 24,000

11/4"-2" 18,000

21/4"-21/2" 16,000

3"- 31/2" 12,000

This is true whether it is a 1/4" or 1/2# shank. I have found though that slower speeds tend to give better results with some woods that have high sugar contents such as Maple. You will have less burning of the wood if you slow the bit down some and keep a constant feed rate. Always try on some scrap first to find what works for you.

Hope this helps you some.

Mike