Extremely Technical

rokeros

This is probrably quite far fetched from guitar building but is still music. I was wondering for those techheads on the forum building amps and preamps and the lot, I wondered if its possible to build recording mixers. For those who want more detail, I want to one day replicate a neve 88r.

This is probrably quite far fetched from guitar building but is still music. I was wondering for those techheads on the forum building amps and preamps and the lot, I wondered if its possible to build recording mixers. For those who want more detail, I want to one day replicate a neve 88r.

lol this thread is mainly for fun and interest. Likely not going to happen, but would like to see other people's thoughts. I thought it could be a nice retiring hobbie for some people. But a few thousands is a great deal for an 88r worth several million.

Btw, you know its actually very scary cos I was looking at that very picture before opening this thread to look for updates...hmmm...stalker....stealing ip addresses...guess not.

Edited by rokeros

well.... never seen any DIY jobbies that... adventurous.

Check out midibox.org, midi controller, but could be used with a PC based recording studio, and is pretty much infinatly expandable.

S

plus remember if you do go for it, that beast is basically the same thing repeated for however many channels there are with a final block to bring it all together (ie output stage). So shouldn't need an outrageous amount of R&D :D

But best idea with DIY things like that, as with guitars... put in what you want, leave out what you don't.

S

As Sambo said, if you design a module for each: input, output, effects, monitor...that has exactly what you want and/or need and get them to look and work right - you just duplicate them for however many channels you want. It can easily be done...but very time consuming. I've built many control rooms and studios and wiring the boards and patch bays is an enormous and tedious task. So - yes it can be done, but I'm not up to it (especially in my spare time!!), I have guitars to work on (quite the addicting habit).

Perry...I literally LAUGHED OUT LOAD at your post!!!...Rog

I've built full featured 6 and 8 band analog mixers before. That kinda stuff is easily doable. For a board like that......eh.....it's hard..and expensive (think about it...most panel mount pots are like $3-5 each....how many are there in that pic?!?!). One thing to look up is simmilar behringer products, and modify them (usually involving gutting, or removing everything that's not rebuildable) to save money on parts like that and on some of the fancier digital DSP's etc..

Take a look at this one:

http://www.behringer.com/SL3242FX-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Peace.