Got a question for you guys

Giant Baba

Hello, everyone!

I'm kinda confused in regards to how this finish was achieved:

"Chrome" and Black Bullseye's LP 1

Another view

Is it just a mirror finish with black bullseye painted over? How would I go about doing something like that? Do you know of anyone who could do it for me, should my skills not be up to snuff?

Thanks a lot, folks!

Nick

to be honest, it almost looks like there is an edge of some sort on the chrome part. I wonder if it isn't an actual mirror for that part like on the paul stanley shattered mirror icemans.

you could do it with chrome sign vinyl, but there are issues with clearing that. I am doing some testing currently though with the chrome and different clears and can let you know what I find out.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest the chrome sign vinyl like LGM said, I had a shop make me some small circles, it's kinda thin, but you'd still need a lot of clear to make it smooth. I've used poly over the white vinyl with no issues...unsure about the chrome. Maybe it's silver leaf or if someone made a chrome leaf? Now that can be cleared no problem...one hell of a special die-cut? masking for sure.

That new Zippo Zak design is F'ing killer! :D I love it. Thanks cr XD. My son has a black Epi LP and I have some orange lacquer...hehe

Could be it just isn't cleared over as well.

I haven't had any problems clearing the vinyl then again I'm still using two different clears, let me know what you find out about doing it with the poly's :D

how big of an area of vinyl have you tried clearing over though dude? it's fine on small parts, but it's the adhesion sometimes on larger area's that is tough. The chrome tends to bubble the clear as well because it is dead smooth, the finish doesn't like to flow as well, I'm working with different temperatures to see if I cna make it work.

Just a thought, but could the silver be actually silver foil that's burnished into the bullseye?

Seems like you could have a lot of control over adding the silver and then a clear coat of top of it.

It would be nice to see a close up, I mean really close up, of the guitar without seeing Zakks teeth or anything. :D