Another Obscure Question

I know this is going to sound like sacrilege, but I got hold of a BC Rich Bich body with routing for an original floyd, and given that I already have a spare Wizard neck lying around, I thought I might match them up.

I know that the Bich has a different neck scale to all the RGs (this is a neck with a fretboard overhang of frets 23 & 24), but what are people’s thoughts on the likelihood of this working?

Edited by Ar-Pharazon

Thats what i was worried about to begin with... by big overhang, how long do you mean? this one is 28mm from where the base ends = last 2 frets (from an RG-550 of some kind... letter looks like an R or P)

Well, I suppose that answers my question then... its a good inch out. thanks for putting up with my ineptitude :D

As to the whole overhang issue, I worked out that the distance would have been right had it been an RG 320DX neck; solid all the way up. Thats why I was baffled by your reply, Nitefly.

Edited by Ar-Pharazon

I know that the Bich has a different neck scale to all the RGs (this is a neck with a fretboard overhang of frets 23 & 24), but what are people’s thoughts on the likelihood of this working?

Just so we're clear, scale and number of frets have nothing in common...

Thanks for "being clear" but I do realise that... I have built 4 guitars since I joined this forum... I'm not a complete newbie. This was more about where the neck would attach and how much give the floyd rose intonation would allow. In this case, it would not be enough without blocking up the route and repositioning the whole bridge.

It really is too much effort... I think I will just get hold of another bc rich neck on ebay, they aren't that hard to find.

If you need to move it up, you can also even cut the end of the neck heel off.

Carefully, of course, without disturbing the fretboard, but I did that once.

Just trying to make you aware that you don't always have to move the bridge, that the neck also can be moved/altered to suit the intonation. :D

Just trying to make you aware that you don't always have to move the bridge, that the neck also can be moved/altered to suit the intonation. :D

Removing wood from the heel would make it even more neccesary to move the bridge. At the moment the full string length overshoots the bridge by about an inch(its roughly 64 cm give or take intonation). That is what I meant earlier. I would have to add wood to the neck to get the right distance if I were to only alter the neck.

wow more aussies are springing up every day....

might i suggest you measure a little more presicly than cm's, millimetres perhaps, even then you get 647.7 mm scale lengths, so i recon your best be would be to go imperial ibanez use a 25.5 inch scale and AFAIK BC Rich is the same, all that varies is the neck pocket and bridge location, depending on which has the longer bit where will determine whether you need to take some of the neck or indeed add some. if you arent confident doing this get a cabinet maker to do it for ya ive found some to be more than happy to do smal things like that.

thats my 2c

luke

Removing wood from the heel would make it even more neccesary to move the bridge. At the moment the full string length overshoots the bridge by about an inch(its roughly 64 cm give or take intonation). That is what I meant earlier. I would have to add wood to the neck to get the right distance if I were to only alter the neck.

Correct. The Bich is a 24-3/4" scale, and the Ibanez would be a 25-1/2" scale. You would have to adjust to the neck, of course (cause the frets are spaced for 25-1/2" scale), which would mean you'd have to move the neck AWAY, and not TOWARDS the bridge, thus making it even MORE difficult to do. You are right, just pick up another 24-3/4" BC neck, and you are good to go.

Edited by Racer X

wow more aussies are springing up every day....

might i suggest you measure a little more presicly than cm's, millimetres perhaps, even then you get 647.7 mm scale lengths, so i recon your best be would be to go imperial ibanez use a 25.5 inch scale and AFAIK BC Rich is the same, all that varies is the neck pocket and bridge location, depending on which has the longer bit where will determine whether you need to take some of the neck or indeed add some. if you arent confident doing this get a cabinet maker to do it for ya ive found some to be more than happy to do smal things like that.

thats my 2c

luke

Maybe you didn't pickup how lazy I am... I just rounded in my head because it was easier to type... now thats lazy... anyhoo this was one of those 'least work require' questions, because in all honesty, I could have just gone and tried it myself and found out all this info that has been posted.

I think someone better close this thread befor it turns form an odd question into inane drivel.