Maple Vs. Ebony, Rosewood Fingerboards

Lately I've been dealing with allergies that extend into woodworking.

I know that the exotic fingerboard woods are notoriously known for severe reactions with people.

I am debating about going with maple fingerboards. They seem to be more hypo-allergenic when it comes to wood working.

So, I am wondering what the opinions are between maple and the typical dark fingerboards.

The good and the bad.

Thanks fellas.

Mike

These links on toxicity and potency may help you. If I read it correctly, then it says that although uncommon, rosewoods could potentially be quite harmful. Ebony is not quite as harmful, but its symptoms are more common. And maple could cause health problems, but it's rare. Out of those choices I'd probably go for maple, and ebony being second choice. Hope this helps. And here's to your health. :D

~Note: One plus for rosewoods and ebony is that they do not require finishing, only fine sanding, unlike maple.

Thank you very much for the information.

I am looking for the opinions of others more in the area of fretting and inlaying.

How it holds up to guitar use, i.e., does rosewood or maple hold frets better than rosewood over the long term, etc. Those types of uses.

Thanks regardless. Good stuff.

Mike

The allergy statement was to let others know why I am searching for different wood than the standard ebonies and rosewoods.

Just wanted to know what the opinion was of maple fingerboards.

Refretting worse than the others? Do they all need to be finished?

Warping easier than the ebony and rosewood? Stability?

That type of stuff.

I only have have one maple fingerboard guitar and it's brand new, so my opinion is limited.

Mike

All depends on the person, sadly; a reaction to one wood in no way guarantees a reaction to another, or vice-versa. I don't like maple boards (because I don't like the look or feel of a lacquered board), so I don't use them, but, honestly, staying away from cocobolo and pau ferro should leave you relatively safe. If you like the look of maple, go for it. If you like rosewood's aesthetic, go for that. If you're really worried about dust, let others do the milling (slotting, radiussing) for you, limiting the amount of dust creation you need to do.

As a side note, I know of one person who's only allergic reaction to wood ever was to maple. So...y'know.

• 1 month later...

Ebony works well and doesn't bother me as much as pau ferro. Rosewood actually is irritating, but not too bad. Funny, we all have certain reactions to different woods.

In my experience, ebony holds frets really tight. Pau ferro is even harder so they stay in that well too. Maple is a bit "softer" feeling while I'm pressing the frets in. Rosewood seems to feel like maple under the press.

Ebony, pau ferro, and rosewood are well suited for oil finishes and remain natural feeling.

-Doug

The simple answer is to wear latex gloves where necessary, wear an inhalation mask where prudent and ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION AROUND POWER TOOLS!

It still shocks me that people dont take basic precautions like that when doing anything remotely dangerous. All it takes is one splinter in the eye to prove that you were silly for not using protection.

Actually, given the number of people that develop latex allergies (repeated exposures can sensitize you), non-latex gloves may be even better :D

But yes, it's common sense folks. I rarely use latex gloves, I gotta admit, because I haven't worked with woods that I'm sensitive to. I do use them when working Pau Ferro, Cocobolo, and similar 'high risk' woods. Dust masks, however, always.