Would This Work As A Grain Filler?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I found this stuff at lowes, and its a bondo product. I use bondo just about every day because i do paint repair on cars and the stuff work great on plastic. But im not sure how this stuff here would work as a grain filler. I cant get any grainfiller locally where i am, but i can get this stuff, so what do u guys think

Bondo makes my wanna puke every time someone mentions it.

One of the best easiest epoxy fillers i've found is z-poxy (it think thats the name) Just check your local hobby shop and thay might have it.

Back to your question.....yes body filler will work but its ugly and doesnt work well with transparent finishes. If you do use filler don't use bondo. Its crap. Go to an automotive shop and get evercoat glaze coat. Its finer and will fill better. But z-poxy is a better bet.

Bondo makes my wanna puke every time someone mentions it.

Bondo.....bondo.......bondo......bondo :D:D

I was a panel beater for 17 years. The smell alone now makes me crawl up in a foetal position

and cry 'mummy'.

You could use egg whites as filler. That shouldn't be hard to find locally.

Peace,Rich

That's more of a size than a pore filler. It's pumice/rottenstone and shellac you're wanting ;-)

Mattia-

I tried it the other day sanding up a bit of sawdust to work into the pores and it seemed to look pretty fair. I had never tried it till I was reading a thread over at the OLF. I was suprised.

Honestly though. I doubt he would take me seriously.

PC-Rich

• 5 months later...

What type of paint are you using?

For rattlecan paintjobs, I've used Minwax sanding sealer and have achieved pretty good results.

It can be found at Lowes or Home Depot as well.

When spraying acrylic urethanes, I use a Dupont epoxy primer/sealer.

Sealer and primer all in one application.

Works great for me. :D

• 4 months later...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I found this stuff at lowes, and its a bondo product. I use bondo just about every day because i do paint repair on cars and the stuff work great on plastic. But im not sure how this stuff here would work as a grain filler. I cant get any grainfiller locally where i am, but i can get this stuff, so what do u guys think

First of all, where are you located that you can't get grain filler? Second, what kind of wood are you using? If it's a closed-grain wood like alder you don't need filler at all, just a sealer.

• 4 weeks later...
This is what Happend when I used Bondo.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=29766&hl=

I have used bondo for dent filling with no painting problems at all. I use A urathane sealer and acrylic laquer paint. I would not recomend bondo as a pore filler. It would be to hard to get the hardener mix ratio right so you could spread it onto the body. It would either harden too fast and not get into the pores, or harden too slow and never fully cure.

This is what Happend when I used Bondo.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=29766&hl=

I think that was more the way you put the bondo on if u put it on let it cure then sand so only the grain or ding your trying to fill is filled you will be fine. I used bondo on my last time and found if you leave it on like wood putty it will crack but if you put it on smooth with a putty knife it will be fine.

If someone is going to insist they have to use a body filler, I think the best bet is going to be to use a body glaze. It is a thinner consistency and is used to fill in any porosity that you may get from the body putty. So I would think that may work for filling large open grains, such as ash or walnut. BUt smaller open grains, may still be a problem.