Myka Dots?

the dots? or the inlay?

The dots are brass tube with a shell dot in the center. To make the shell part. Cut a scrap piece of tube and cust one end jagged like saw teeth around the rim. then chuck it up in the drill press and drill out a few shell plugs. Pretty straight forward.

Hahahaha, uncanny. Not 20 minutes ago was I talking with him about these. He actually lost his source for the right size silver tubing, and I had jsut found a new one. And no, you CAN get the right sized tubing so that a standard sized side dot will fit right in... much easier than chucking and plugging...

However, I'll let Myka tell you where to get the stuff if he really wants it shared, or ya'll can find/experiment with sizes yourself.

Chris

Funny this should come up....at work, we do a fair number of high-pressure experiments where you seal stuff in welded precious metal capsules, which we make ourselves from precious metal tubing. One of our guys used to get the stuff from the same place for 30 years and they recently shut down. Now the hunt is on for a new source while our entire experimental program is on hold.

C'mon Chris, spill the beans!

Tada! Sorry for the wait guys. I'm sur eyou understand why I had to let him?

Chris

PS: Here's a PERFECT link for the copper one:

Copper Tubing

Get the 1/8" tube, which is soft (easy to sand) AND it's got a wall of .03"-,032"... meaning the inside diameter is either .093"-.095" Which is STELLAR considering a 3/32" dot is .09375"

Just thought I'd drop that bomb too in case you don't feel like venturing to the home depot, or if their tubing is kinda grimy (my home depot's is...)

Chris

[Not guitar related....work related.]

At high temperatures and pressures, gold-palladium alloys retain water against loss by diffusion better than anything out there. And it is really getting to be a problem to get this stuff, so I'm chasing down any and every angle I can.

[/Please resume your regularly scheduled lutherie.]