Acg Prototype Models

The top one looks like your original one from that MIMF thread. But with a farther up located upper horn... kinda like one of those modern single cuts where the upper bout goes up real far up the neck. I love those, so this is a cool take on that.

The bottom one is a bass I'm guessing? Looks very bass shape-ish...

Chris

The top one looks like your original one from that MIMF thread. But with a farther up located upper horn... kinda like one of those modern single cuts where the upper bout goes up real far up the neck. I love those, so this is a cool take on that.

The bottom one is a bass I'm guessing? Looks very bass shape-ish...

Chris

Hi Chris

The top one is the bass version of the guitar you are talking about. It has to be changed from the guitar in order to get the bass version to balance on the strap. As you say because of this the top horn is more extented on this than on the guitar version.

The bottom one is also a bass. I should have said in the original post but I am not very bright.

Both look nice, but I think the bottom one looks a little better. It's rounder and looks more comfortable to play IMO. :D

Both look nice, but I think the bottom one looks a little better. It's rounder and looks more comfortable to play IMO. :D

+1

That would look comfortable as a candy with an arm bevel

I personally Love the look of the horn contours as it has a continuous transition from the lower contour to the top. I've always loved the Gecko Bass from Warmoth, but I like this one better... *saves the picture for future reference.

:D

Will be looking forward to having this one built and of course, keep the pics coming! Best luck

My first thought when I saw those? Scott French... :D

I mean, I'm sure he didn't invent this body shape/horn style either, but I saw his first.

And if these are for bass guitars, well, aren't there already dozens of pretty much the same shapes out there?

Maybe you tweaked the general idea here and there, but otherwise, I don't see anything original going on.

But then, you're building for players-- seems like bass players really go for these weird distorted shapes. And they don't like original all that much. :D

My first thought when I saw those? Scott French... :D

I mean, I'm sure he didn't invent this body shape/horn style either, but I saw his first.

And if these are for bass guitars, well, aren't there already dozens of pretty much the same shapes out there?

Maybe you tweaked the general idea here and there, but otherwise, I don't see anything original going on.

But then, you're building for players-- seems like bass players really go for these weird distorted shapes. And they don't like original all that much. :D

I have had this problem before. I was unawre of Scott's work when the original guitar was produce about 2 years ago. This is just a bass version of one of my existing guitar designs. As it turns out he was influencd by the Warwick Dolphin bass I owned a Dolphin as well. The fact that we both use a reverse of set means there will be comparison but having contacted Scott on another forum he thinks there is very little the same in the 2 designs.

As far as I can see because there are a limited number of variables you can use in the design of a guitar which produces a workable instrument all we are all doing is tweaking the general idea.

Many thanks for the comments.

Edited by skelf

As far as I can see because there are a limited number of variables you can use in the design of a guitar which produces a workable instrument all we are all doing is tweaking the general idea.

Many thanks for the comments.

Sure...you know, I don't want to seem like I'm coming down hard on you or anything...probably shouldn't type while I'm still drinking my first cup of coffee (usually I don't turn the machine on before the third cup, but today was different).

The problem I have with basses is that they really all end up looking so much alike....kind of like the spitup splashes my kids used to make when we started them out on solid foods...although it's true, the bass player in my group is kind of amorphously shaped (well, he's looking more and more like a short bald soccer ball these days)

I just wonder why it's so difficult to come up with truly cool bass designs. But then, I'm into a real retro thing, so take my opinions/criticisms with that grain of salt. I mean, my two favorite bass designs are the Hofner Club and the Danelectro Longhorn.

Sure...you know, I don't want to seem like I'm coming down hard on you or anything...probably shouldn't type while I'm still drinking my first cup of coffee (usually I don't turn the machine on before the third cup, but today was different).

The problem I have with basses is that they really all end up looking so much alike....kind of like the spitup splashes my kids used to make when we started them out on solid foods...although it's true, the bass player in my group is kind of amorphously shaped (well, he's looking more and more like a short bald soccer ball these days)

I just wonder why it's so difficult to come up with truly cool bass designs. But then, I'm into a real retro thing, so take my opinions/criticisms with that grain of salt. I mean, my two favorite bass designs are the Hofner Club and the Danelectro Longhorn.