Emg Select

They are a bit like "Duncan Designed" they don't neccessarily make them but were originally designed by EMG.

Haven't used them so I can't say anything from experience. But if you do a search you'll find that many people have commented on them before. The complaints are usually that they are too 'sterile' and don't have the best tone in the world. But for the price you can't find a much better deal (maybe gfs?). I am planning on using it for my first build. If you use them, you can tell us how it sounds. And if you don't like it, its not like you lost too much money. :D

would you recommend them though?

We have not tested any Selects. We have tested the HZ H4's and they do provide an EMG sound in a lower output pickup. If you play strictly distorted sounds then the 81/85 set is about the highest output you can buy.

The Selects came out years ago as EMG's only passive pickup offering and they're made in Korea. Not bad pickups for $20-30, and they'll do alright for most people. The HZ line came out a few years ago and are designed to SOUND like the active line. They're apparently made by a "secret" pickup maker in California, which is why I believe they're actually being made by Seymour Duncan in exchange for EMG building the new Dave Mustaine 9-volt LiveWires. But that's all just based on relatively reliable hearsay :D

Honestly, at the price point, I think you'd be okay going with any brand of pickup, but I've played a few guitars with Selects and they're not bad at all--if you can deal with a pure, clean sound with no built-in character.