Cutting Fret Wire

Hello everybody (Hello Dr. Nick). I'm refretting a guitar of mine and am at the stage in which I will be using a fret caul in my drill press to push the 2 ft long, bent to radius wire in (just like in Brian's tutorial). But, here's the situation, my drill press is in the basement (right next to my table saw (which comes into play later)), the air compressor is upstairs and out in the garage, I do own a pneumatic cut-off wheel which I would like to use for cutting the fretwire but because of it's location in relation to the drill press, I would have to make quite a trip after every fret to cut off the wire. I could do that, but obviously don't want to. I could also just precut the fret wire, but that would be a bit wasteful, not much, but if it could be avoided I'd prefer that. So, really quite a simple question, is the fret wire (which is just standard wire I got from Stew mac) a ferrous metal, or not? My bandsaw's manual says not to cut ferrous metals, but that it can cut non-ferrous metals. And using my bandsaw would be great because it is right there, I could cut the fret even closer to the neck wasting less, and I wouldn't have to be in the garage at all (there's a pretty bad heat wave in Wisconsin right now). Thanks alot.

Galen.

I guess I could do that, but I don't believe I have any, while I do have the other stuff. But, all of that is gonna have to be put on hold a few days anyway. I was sanding the fingerboard perfectly flat when I guess the styrofoam I had the neck on for support slipped toward the edge of my work surface, I stopped sanding, it tipped. The neck is now sitting in my room in two pieces. It was an unusually thin ibanez wizard neck. I've had this thing for a little bit more than a year and it was gonna be done within the week. It stings. Anyway, thanks for your help, the band saw worked great to cut the frets.

Galen.

I've had this thing for a little bit more than a year and it was gonna be done within the week. It stings. Anyway, thanks for your help, the band saw worked great to cut the frets.

Ouch. I know how that feels (I think we all do here :D )

Anyway, this will give you time to get the right tools for the job --I'm planning to use the tang nippers/end cutters tag team. Cost me $20 to get set up.

-I'm planning to use the tang nippers/end cutters tag team. Cost me $20 to get set up.

Where do you get tang nippers/end cutters together for $20? I know you can use metal nippers ground flat for end cutters, but how do you get a cheap tang nipper? I've been looking at the stewmac ones or e-bay fret shop ones but can't justify the price just yet.

Cheers,

Brian.

Where do you get tang nippers/end cutters together for $20?

Oops, I was thinking of a different tool ...the tang nippers actually cost me $22, sorry. I bought them from this guy --I'm guessing he modified the nibbler himself.

I justified the purchase after the first time I tried to cut a piece of fret wire --the ends got all mangled up, just like StewMac said they would...it just seemed easier to have the tang nippers.

-I'm planning to use the tang nippers/end cutters tag team. Cost me $20 to get set up.

Where do you get tang nippers/end cutters together for $20? I know you can use metal nippers ground flat for end cutters, but how do you get a cheap tang nipper? I've been looking at the stewmac ones or e-bay fret shop ones but can't justify the price just yet.

Cheers,

Brian.

The stew mac tang nippers by the way work great........... :D

Mike :D