My First Project (in Progress)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything goes fine Travis! You will be able to play it soon :D Nice pick-up choice! Both p-u blended equaly have this in your face sound. The bridge soloed have less growl than a passive p-u but is still realy descent for jaco's run.

Good luck!

Philippe

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I started cutting the pick-up holes with a chisel (i never have the tools that do it quickly lol)

Iv only just the rectangle part im going to the the cemi-circle part with a round chisel as soon as i get one.

But hopefullly not long till i get to make some noise with it =)

pupholeslo3.jpg

Enjoy =)

Edit:

bridge pick-up is slanted like a warwick (im hoping it will add abit more bass).

Edited by travismoore

That pickup is slanted the wrong way for more bass. Closer to bridge = more treble.

Power to ya for goin at it with chisels; I wouldn't have even tried. Looks like it's coming along pretty well though. I really dig the design and the wood choices.

Edit: It didn't even occur to me that you may want less treble out of the high strings. If that is the case, that slant will work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Just thought i would give a quick update and ask a question aswell.

RAWR.jpg

Pick-up holes are done now, i know its not lots of progress but iv been busy with coursework etc.

And my question is how do you guys drill from the cavity in the back to the pick-ups because i dont see how its possible to get the drill to go in at a decent angle because of the size of cavitys.

all the best,

Travis

Ok, just for future reference . . . when making a thru-neck it is a really good idea to put a channel into the side of the body section of the neck blank before you glue the body wings on! That would have made this a hell of a lot easier, just a small bit to drill from the bridge pickup to the cavity.

As it is you need to find a really long drill bit, and drill very slowly the way jester has suggested. These long drill bits sometimes want to follow there own path through the wood so it is well worth pulling the drill out every few seconds - especially on the longer runs. I have had these pop out the back of the guitar in the wrong place when i have been impatient

Its going to be very hard to get the angle shallow enough to get from the neck pocket to the control cavity, especially with the slim j-bass pickup routes.

I would be tempted to have a longer control cavity on the rear so you can drill straight from the neck pickup to cavity easier - might look a bit weird if you only have a few controls.

Hey guys,

I have a protentially big problem i think and i need some opinions on it.

I was looking at the fretboard the other day and i noticed the it twists at the end which it didnt do before.

I tryed to get some half decent pictures of it.

Neck twist 1

Neck twist 2

Neck twist 3

Can it be fixed?

Is it fixable?

What may have caused it?

help please,

Travis