Tarnished Frets! Help!

Hey all,

Well, my cat had a mating call with my gig bag and I had to run it through the wash like, four times. And I forgot that it was still damp when I put my guitar in it one day...four days later I pulled out my guitar and my frets (which were all nice and shiny...probably Nickel made) are now all yellow and my fret board is kinda rough.

What is the safest way to bring 'em back to their original color? Do I necessarily have to get 'em redressed or could I use something from home or the local shop?

Chris

You'll have to travel to the himalayas, and at the top of the highest peak, you'll find a enchanting place called ' Scooter's Hardware and moped repair'. Way in the back, you'll find this extremely special stuff called "Steel Wool" ( it has to be flown in from Pluto), which is why it's so damn expensive (like $2.00-$3.00 a pack)

If your frets were in new condition just use some metal polish and a clean cloth to shine them up. Mask the fret board first so residue from the polishing compound does not get onto it.

Well, I had already packed my bags to look for the Holy Grail...I thought it'd make a nice pick holder.

But I suppose that the himeleya's would work.

Thanks, guys. My girlfriend paid for half the guitar, so for sentimental reasons, I didn't wanna wreck the fretboard any more than I figured I would have to.

Another question, though...what does everybody think of string/fretboard lube? Yay? Nay?

Another question, though...what does everybody think of string/fretboard lube? Yay? Nay?

Not sure about "lube" but I use StewMac's fretboard finishing oil for keeping my fingerboards clean and shiny (picture here) and I use white mineral oil for string cleaning. After putting some of StewMac's fretboard oil on my 6-string bass and letting it set for a day, then buffing it down. It had more clarity to the sound when playing, acoustically and plugged in. Thought that was pretty cool!

If you mean something like "fast fret", I think it's a waste of time. I bought a can of it in the 80's and still haven't used it up (but it's been years since I've used any).

It does make it easier to slide your fingers up and down the neck, but then it causes you to lose a lot of grip when you bend strings. I also think it just makes more dust stick to the neck.

If you mean something like "fast fret", I think it's a waste of time. I bought a can of it in the 80's and still haven't used it up (but it's been years since I've used any).

It does make it easier to slide your fingers up and down the neck, but then it causes you to lose a lot of grip when you bend strings. I also think it just makes more dust stick to the neck.

Fast fret makes your strings sound brand new and cleans them. It really helps save me money because each re-string costs $60-100 for my basses. I'd recommend an alternative, as hardly any comes in a container. Like I stated, I use white mineral oil. I heard someone using "butcher block" oil, not eaxctly sure what that is but it does the same thing. If you're a basisst looking to save money, I'd highly recommend toying with these oils. I've saved hundreds over the past year.