Acg Harlot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I start of with a japanese saw rasp.I shape the neck at the head end first and then at the heel.If there is a lot of wood to come of in between I use a spokeshave but it is easy to take to much of with this so if you use one take it easy stop often and check you are not getting carried away.Then it is down to files scrapers and sand paper.

I use my hand to gauge how the neck feels and to find any bumps or dips.

Just take your time.

• 1 month later...

I start of with a japanese saw rasp.

Hey, I have a question about those. Do you use the kind with the handle inline, or the one that has the two handles? Would you recommend one over the other for this application?

Thanks!

I have both but seldom use the two handle one for anything the front handle is not long enough so you can't get enough downward pressure on it.

Excellent, thanks. That was my instinct, not having used one . . .seems like the inline would be easily flipped back and forth between the coarse and fine sides. Is it too sharp to grab the end for control while shaping?

BTW, your guitars are killer. I see a lot of builders but not so many with original and fully thought out design such as yours. I really dig yours, Scott French and David Mykas. You guys really inspire me. Oh holy crap, and Jerzy Drozd. . .can't forget those!

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Just got this finished today.

The spec.

Body wood is Black Limba with a Spalted Scottish Beech top and a black veneer accent line.

Neck ,Wenge/Black Limba 5 piece with Spalted Beech headplate and a Black Limba backplate and heel. The fingerboard is Macassar Ebony.

Hardware. Hipshot Type A bridge in brass,Hipshot Ultralite tuners,2 ACG custom wound humbuckers, ACG custom made pre-amp.

Finish 60% sheen Lacquer on the body with 20% sheen on the neck for a satin feel.

Alan

346752664_33ff0cfb70.jpg

More pics at.

www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/104/

Edited by skelf

Cool!

I love everything I've seen you make, and this is no exception

does this mean i need to do something to put in for GOTM :D

That thing looks really great, i love the beech top. I found a spare spalted beech top in my stack a few days ago, completely forgot it was there! Its not as nice as yours but still quite interesting, i might get around to using it now.

i

Here is the neck for the Harlot just finished carving it. There is just the logo to go in it and then of to be sprayed.

The neck is 5 piece flame sycamore/wenge with a walnut headplate backplate and heel all with a black veneer accent line. The fingerboard is ebony with alloy side dots.

350453593_55268185bf.jpg

ACG Gallery