Who Uses Compressor Pedals?

custom22

Hey,

Ive been recording stuff for some time, and have always used compression on complete guitar tracks, but i was wondering who uses the pedal types that go into your amp for live purposes and such? I am looking for opinions on different types; i know that MXR has a couple for cheap. Does anyone have any opinions on compressors in general, as well as specific types?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

-Ryan

They're also good for chikin'-pickin' country, funk, clean jazz and acoustic-y New Age sounds, and almost compulsory for fretless and clean bass stuff. Contrary-wise, about all they do when used with medium to high gain settings is increase the background noise. For stompboxes, I've always liked the Dynacomp (or it's twin, The Ross Compressor), the Orange Squeezer (and clones) and the little DOD opto comp (280? can't remember...). For bass, I've always preferred a rackmount unit, for more control - dbx, Symetrix and Alesis boxes have all done a good job at various times in my rig.