Ignore the stupidity of this question

neck thrus and bolt IN (not ON) rule.... better upper fret access here's a diagram i did of a bolt in neck pocket and the heel, i have screws but you could easily just glue and clamp it in the pocket for a day, and voila set neck, however some people say that glue in the neck pocket kills the tone and sustain....

hope this helps, but you can kinda ignore the direct mounting stuff

boltinneckpocket.jpg

OK. A Bolt neck is simply that - the neck's attached into the body by a number of large screws or bolts.

In a through neck, the wood of the neck extends the entire length of the instrument - so there is no neck joint as such, just joints between the rest of the body and the extended neck wood.

A fixed, set, glued in neck is in between in some ways. The neck and body a separate pieces of work, similar to a bolt neck. However, there are no bolts, and instead the neck is joined in a kind of glued tenon joint, extending deeper into the body than a bolt neck.

This is in many ways a 'better' way of joining neck to body than bolts, if done properly - especially with a good tight fit. In other respects - harder to replace a broken neck, but it's possible to do it - and it is much easier to do than with a through neck instrument.

neck thrus and bolt IN (not ON) rule.... better upper fret access

Can you explain this? I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying.

there's less body heel for your thumb to run into, on neck thu's there isn't a heel on the body so it's smooth sailing all the way up the fretboard :D

And ain't that top one a sloppy job?

So lets to say if on my les paul i made the neck a glue in, and used the top picture as my basis.....would gaps on the neck that are ringed in the picture below actually need to be there??

untitled.jpg

If so i dont understand how the neck stays in place....if not, is it meantto be a tight tight flush joint?

Also is the neck meant to be angled back from the body like that on a les paul?

So lets to say if on my les paul i made the neck a glue in, and used the top picture as my basis.....would gaps on the neck that are ringed in the picture below actually need to be there??

If so i dont understand how the neck stays in place....if not, is it meantto be a tight tight flush joint?

Also is the neck meant to be angled back from the body like that on a les paul?

1. Those gaps shouldn't be there... a well made neck joint should be nice and tight, ideally you can pickup the unglued neck and have the body come with it. I don't always manage that, but I try to shoot for a joint which won't fit together if I put 1 thickness of cheap copier paper round the tennon.

2. Yes, the angle is deliberate. Most set neck guitars have some neck angle, to bring the strings closer to the fret board. Basically, if your bridge is taller than your fingerboard is thick (most are) your strings will be close to the fretboard at the nut, and get further away the closer they get to the bridge. To bring the strings almost parallel to the fretboard you can either:

-Lower the bridge (seems to be popular on this board, a good example is Wes's V).

-Raise the fingerboard (look at a strat, or strat style guitar).

-Angle the neck (as in the pick above).

I think angling the neck is the most proffesional looking way to do it, but thats just IMO. Wes's recessed bridge looks very slick, and the rasied fingerboard works well on Strat type low bridges, but I'd avoid it with a tunamatic or other tall bridge.