Five-string Neck-thru Warwick Vampyre Bass

Prostheta

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

It's coming along great. I wasn't quite sure how it was going to look, but the Padouk looks perfect next to the flame Maple.

The neck with the perfect headstock shape and fretboard (people really need to give Bloodwood a try) still looks as beautiful as before.

Do you have some photos of the oiled Padouk and Bloodwood taken?

It'd be interesting to compare the two. The last time I sprayed lacquer on some scraps, it sat on top of the Bloodwood and wouldn't absorb well (no pores), but it soaked right into the Padouk really quick (huge pores). So I'm curious as to how the oil works.

UPDATE!!

I built up the router table and used a 1"/45° chamfer bit set to chamfer 5mm up from the black pinstripe line to rout around the entire body up the the recesses near the neck, including into the side recesses. From there I used a combination of chisels, planes and spokeshaves to work the side up to the contour I drew up on the top of the body. From thereonin I just sanded with 80 grit and brought it up to 120 for the photos.

The carve is nowhere near finished as I still have to do the bottom half of the body (only a rough carve right now) and the back needs to drop down for the bridge and tailpiece. I'm almost 98% certain I'll dye the top red on black and use Rustin's plastic coating.

Tomorrow I'll probably plane down the bookmatched veneer I'm making for the headstock. Either that or I'll destroy it in the process. We'll see.

vampyre5_23_safe.jpg

LARGER VERSION OF ABOVE

View 2 of carving

View 3 of carving

Edited by Prostheta

I've got most of the hardware already sorted. I bought a Warwick aftermarket bridge and tailpiece set, although I still need to sort out the tuners. The bridge is a two-piece with a base set into the body of the instrument, and the top piece with the saddles on attaches via two allen bolts. The tailpiece is a slight V which also recesses into the body by about 1/3" or so.

Now who was it who told me to be careful about pulling the oils out of padauk with acetone? I'm not going for a peach guitar, no way :-D

I completed the carving today, and routed the recess for the bridge base. Also managed to create a 1/16" thick bookmatched veneer for the headstock which I intend to create Forstner'ed recesses in for the tuner bushings similar to my Yamaha RBX775.

vampyre5_26_safe.jpg

LARGER VERSION OF ABOVE

Obligatory second shot!

Oh yes, you'll also notice that I have added a very slight Metal Matt inspired constant radius over the top of the instrument so it is no longer perfectly flat on the top contour.

:D

The back needs work next, although I'm tempted to settle for a simple flat back with a gentle roundover around the perimeter. I wait to be convinced otherwise on this score!

Edited by Prostheta

Now who was it who told me to be careful about pulling the oils out of padauk with acetone? I'm not going for a peach guitar, no way :-D

:D

You'll also want to be careful with the sanding finer than ~220, as the padauk dust will get into the maple. I'd apply a thin coat of shellac to the maple edges nearest the padauk to keep this from happening. But you don't want to hose down the entire top in shellac, as it will tend to inhibit the dye penetration. Then when finish-sanding on the top, use sandpaper that has never seen the padauk.

The Mantra....to be repeated until it becomes second nature in your thinking....

Test It On Scrap First

Edited by erikbojerik

Much appreciated Erik. I'm planning on taping off the lower edge of padauk prior to finish sanding the top edges, and shellac'ing them to mask them off prior to dyeing the top. It's also why I insisted on a small black pinstripe between the top and back to give me a little bit of a break, therefore more to work with :-D

Apologies for the low quality images. I really should get some sorted in daylight to indicate progress as artificial light and flash makes unfinished work look mega rough.

I am currently routing out padauk from the back to fit the neck tenon, plus I'm cutting the recess out of the front where the fretboard will emerge. I've calculated the angles accurately so that the bottom of the board emerges straight onto maple, and I've left enough play to hang the board over the far edge to disguise the join :-D

I didn't have time to complete the work tonight, so a sneak guess at how it's going to look is all I have. The bookmatched and pinstriped veneer for the headstock was a success (yay me!) and has been Titebonded on with yet another pinstripe underneath. This is being rounded over at the edges an smoothed towards the centre (too slight to call it a carved headstock top!) to tie in the organic carves of the body. The headstock is deliberately quite thick as I'm going to dish the tuner locations down just beyond the pinstripe and paint the wood revealed underneath black (roughly 4mm). The edges of the dishes will be smoothed over also. On that note, I plan to buy a 1" dished router bit to make the control pot locations. So much to do, so little time.

I figure that a black sandback with deep red dye over the top will make the headstock veneer look super awesome with the dished and recessed tuner bushes.

To make life simpler for me (in case I cock up) I'm going to make the headstock inlay a simple signature of abalone, inlaid into an ebony circle which I can easily install. Can't afford to go wrong inlaying abalone straight into that maple!

vampyre5_29.jpg

(ps. the image size is smaller than 640x480/307200 pixels!)

Oh yes - I'm very tempted to paint a black line down the centre of the bass over the maple only after I've done the black sandback as an afterthought, to tie the body in with the pinstripe on the headstock. Still malleable on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATIO!!

Not much done apart from further sanding on the top, and routing the mortice (can you call it that?!) for the semi neck-through tenon. The routs for the tailpiece and the bridge need widening slightly (I find it difficult to put wood back in) and the faux binding stripe around the edge tidying. Once the tenon is in place, I'll sculpt the heel and we can look at some shellac-induced crazy dyeing!! I'm a little tempted to add some blue to the red dye I have to add a purplish tinge. Somebody talk me out of that one if you will.

CLICK FOR LARGER VERSION

vampyre5_30_safe.jpg

Edited by Prostheta