The Dangers In Guitars And Guitar Tweaking

PNG123

Hey everybody,

I am new in this forum but have read quite alot over here already.

I have also read, and participate in many othe guitar forums,

Anyway, i have some questions.

1) When performing modifications to my guitar (example shielding it) , do i increase the risk of shock?

2) Are there any poisonous chemicals one encounters when modifying/building guitars?

3) Is there a risk of getting a shock whilst playing guitar (i was never paranoid about this point but recently i read an article and it was got me concerened..Guitar Nuts- Shock

Even if you tried specifically to do so, it would be rather difficult to mod a guitar in someway that it could electrocute you under ordinary circumstances. You can mod an amp in such a way that it can kill you but guitar electronics are pretty much low-voltage affairs as far as I know. Your biggest worry will probably be burning yourself w/ a soldering iron.

As far as chemicals, a lot of the finishes you might use are toxic and should only be used w/ proper protection and ventilation. Some people have allergic reactions to certain woods as well.

Edited by Logical Frank

Even if you tried specifically to do so, it would be rather difficult to mod a guitar in someway that it could electrocute you under ordinary circumstances. You can mod an amp in such a way that it can kill you but guitar electronics are pretty much low-voltage affairs as far as I know. Your biggest worry will probably be burning yourself w/ a soldering iron.

As far as chemicals, a lot of the finishes you might use are toxic and should only be used w/ proper protection and ventilation. Some people have allergic reactions to certain woods as well.

So modifying guitars isn;t really dangerous,

I should just watch out when painting and mod amps right?

(oh and what about pedals?)

-----

What do you think about this modification:

Shielding a Tele,

In another article, the author also suggest including a 400V Capacitor (Shielding a Strat )

What do you think?

Anything on our side of the input jack of an amp is pretty safe to mess around w/. The biggest danger w/ effects boxes is to your amp not to you and even that's no big deal. I'm sure you could find someway to hurt yourself but it's not easy and I can't even think of the last time I've heard it mentioned.

I've never done those shielding mods but they look to be very straightforeward and simple, certainly not dangerous. Heck--I might do them myself on one of my single coil fiddles to see if it does any good.

Just like anything else dangerous, approach it with caution, read labels, ask if you dont know....personally Im more worried about losing a finger or my vision, which is why Im careful and wear saftey equipment while working.

I am just going to assemble or modyify guitars , do i won't be using any wood cutting equipment,

Worstthat could happen would be a burn or getting my finger glued to my guitar

Welcome!

This isn't a danger (and I am also going to argue both sides) but you can really screw up a decent guitar by not knowing what you are doing...

Now for the counter point, Mr Doeringer. If I had listened to this advice I woulnd't be working on guitars today.

My point is to learn and do but expect a few bumps along the road. But you're in the right place.

Hi there,

The most electric shocks Ive seen guitarists get is because they dont earth their power leads and then use Mics on stage which cause a shock from the lack of earth.

If youre not sure, ask questions, and before you got doing stuff, use the SEARCH facility to see if other people have already attempted it. Their experiences are a valuable learning tool.

Oh and TAKE PICTURES! passing the info on you learn is sort of what this community is about. :D

Edited by Digideus

Totally. The old shortcut to removing earth hum was to remove the earth connection at the power socket which means any fault that develops in the equipment can result in HT voltage on the instrument. Oochy ouchy!!

Plus the thing tend to be strapped to your body at the time!! That's like, an electric chair in a different form...

...It happens. :D

"Leslie Harvey younger brother of Alex first recorded work was on an Alex Harvey LP called " The blues" in 1964 when Leslie was 16 years old. He joined his brothers band and from then until the formation of Stone The Crows in 1966 . The quintet's early blues-based albums were notable for both Maggie Bell and Jimmy Dewar's expressive vocals and Leslie Harvey's textured, economic guitar work. However, an inability to match their live popularity with record sales led to disaffection and both John McGuinness and Dewar left on completing ODE TO JOHN LAW. On 3 May 1972, Leslie Harvey died after being electrocuted onstage at Swansea's Top Rank Ballroom. Although the group completed a fourth album with Jimmy McCulloch from Thunderclap Newman, they lacked the heart to continue and broke up the following year. "

"Keith Relf did not die in the bathtub.

He had fitted out the basement of his house as a recording studio and this is where he was found on the floor by his son. His guitar was not properly earthed, and although the shock was fairly mild Keith had been ill and was not fit enough to withstand it."