Flamed Rock Maple Fretboard

prauny

I have a nice piece of flamed rock maple which is only usable as a fretboard (too thin and small for anything else). Would a maple fret board be a good idea for a mahogony neck and body? Any ideas what it would do to the tone? The guitar i plan will probably be a les paul'ish design with two humbuckers.

Edited by prauny

Yeah, and ive seen maple fretboards on Warmoth les paul necks too. I like the look. Just wondered what it would do to the sound really. I will be using it anyway. I'll try and get a picture up of it.

Its actually a really old floor board that was being thrown out. Skips are wonderfull things!!!

Hey Sambo, im in Aberystwyth. Do you build guitars?

There's a new PRS Signature guitar with a maple 'board. Might be some sound clips around? I know its a bit of a different guitar but for seeing what difference it has 'generally' look at a strat.

S

I've never played a guitar with a maple board on it. Id like to know how it feels and stuff as well. We only have one guitar shop in Aber, and they dont like people playing the guitars..... it sucks....

I have a nice piece of flamed rock maple which is only usable as a fretboard (too thin and small for anything else). Would a maple fret board be a good idea for a mahogony neck and body? Any ideas what it would do to the tone? The guitar i plan will probably be a les paul'ish design with two humbuckers.

Maple will give you slightly more attack on the notes when used as fretboard (compared to RoseWood)

I doubt that you would hear much of a difference in tone. Finish with tung or danish oil and wax. I don't like lacquered boards.

:D

Maple will give you slightly more attack on the notes when used as fretboard (compared to RoseWood)

I doubt that you would hear much of a difference in tone. Finish with tung or danish oil and wax. I don't like lacquered boards.

:D

Will that help bring out the flame in the wood?

It'd be different. Zakk Wylde has some LP's with maple boards. (the camo ones). Try it, you might like it!

S

Sorry but Zakks guitars havea maple neck! All the customs atleast and the cammo is a custom.

http://www.gibson.com/GibsonGood/Artists/Zakk%20Wylde/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gib...itar?sku=518446

Edited by Maiden69