Wilkie Wrap Bridge - Opinions?

Wilkinson adjustable intonated wraparound bridge

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wiliadinwrbr.html

Pic: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/y...17_1914_7622674

What's the opinions on these? Thought I might try one out on my walnut carved top prs project.

Anyone used one of these in a build?

Any alternative recommendations?

I haven't used one, and considering it only seems to be available in right Handed, I doubt I'll get to experience it, either.

( I only play left-handed to spite myself :D )

The marketing blurb does sound impressive though. That is if you you prefer barking mids to muddy bass.

At that price , it's worth a shot.

I had a look at those but decided to fit a piezo system so went with the Graphtech/Tonepros wrapover. With either bridge you're going to have a compromise of intonation but I guess it depends on what's most important at the moment, intonation or price. My thinking with my current project is to get the best I can but I've bought a lot of cheap parts in the past & been very happy with them.

Personally I'd go with the cheaper one so that you can get a usable guitar quicker & save up for a decent one to replace it....if the cheaper one works ok then you'll have more pennies to spend elsewhere.

I had a look at those but decided to fit a piezo system so went with the Graphtech/Tonepros wrapover. With either bridge you're going to have a compromise of intonation but I guess it depends on what's most important at the moment, intonation or price. My thinking with my current project is to get the best I can but I've bought a lot of cheap parts in the past & been very happy with them.

Personally I'd go with the cheaper one so that you can get a usable guitar quicker & save up for a decent one to replace it....if the cheaper one works ok then you'll have more pennies to spend elsewhere.

I agree here, I'd go with the cheaper one. I mean, I'm sitting over here crying because it's going to cost around $80 to paint the guitar, and every penny counts.

Both of the bridges look really nice, though. I'm thinking about a wraparound for my next project, but they don't come in black :-P

Both of the bridges look really nice, though. I'm thinking about a wraparound for my next project, but they don't come in black :-P

Yes they do. I have one here. Haven't mounted it though, just haven't gotten around to it. But it's definitely black. Got it from guitarfetish.

One thing that should be noted about the Wilkinson bridges--they're made of aluminum, so they're super-lightweight. That's a definite plus.

I think the version with two adjustable plates is overkill --if you were careful enough about setting the bridge location, then the only strings that will need any kind of adjusting will be the B and G.

Yes they do. I have one here. Haven't mounted it though, just haven't gotten around to it. But it's definitely black. Got it from guitarfetish.

One thing that should be noted about the Wilkinson bridges--they're made of aluminum, so they're super-lightweight. That's a definite plus.

I think the version with two adjustable plates is overkill --if you were careful enough about setting the bridge location, then the only strings that will need any kind of adjusting will be the B and G.

Hooray!!! :D Actually, I didn't even think of intonation, hmm... I do indeed like the ability to adjust every string for intonation, but when the money comes around to do the second guitar, I'm confident that my measuring skills will have improved :D

Here's another Wilkinson one, very similar design but £40 from WD as opposed to AxesRus price of £19 for the first one:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php...mp;product=1337

WD is way over priced in my opinion. I bought a 7string TOM from them at $42 thinking it was betther than the one I got from Guitar Parts Depot and it turned out to be the same exact piece, all the stamps were the same... And I pay only $17 in GPD.

Thx guys. I was also thinking of fitting some sort of piezo saddles but now I know the price in the UK for these I'm going to forget it for the time being.

yeah, they're fairly pricey. The bridge I'm getting is about £170, then you've got the preamp which I got a great deal on but retails for £79. I just thought, what the hell...if I'm gonna spend a load of time making an instrument, especially a slightly chambered one, I might as well fit the best parts I can.....& they don't get much better than Graphtech & Tonepros. Plus it's easier to fit stuff from the start than try & modify it later.

"WD is way over priced in my opinion. I bought a 7string TOM from them at $42 thinking it was betther than the one I got from Guitar Parts Depot and it turned out to be the same exact piece, all the stamps were the same... And I pay only $17 in GPD."

+1 for that Maiden - WD are my last port of call due to their horrific pricing.

Al, i'd say that the one from WD is the same as Axes R Us - i think it all comes through JHS.

Jem :D