Padauk Vs Mahogany

I'm considering using Padauk as a substitute for Honduran Mahogany for an Explorer body.

I haven' t been to the lumber yard in a while and I can't remember what Padauk is like in terms of weight and density. Since the Explorer body is failry large, I wouldn't want to select a wood that is too heavy.

I hear that Padauk is easy to work, much like mahogany. Anyone with hands on experience care to comment?

Lots of hand on experience here.

It's relatively dense. Less dense than Hard Maple, more dense than Mahogany is how I would catagorize it. Definitely awesome sounding wood. I love the color and it doesn't destroy my blades like Purpleheart or Bubinga. I highly recommend the stuff as it is not freakishly expensive and looks great in necks, bodies, or as fingerboards.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...d/6string22.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons.../NeckGrain3.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons.../Project703.jpg

The 1 solid padauk guitar i have built was a little bright for my tastes but plenty of other people liked it.

It is definatly denser and heavier than mahogany so be carefull doing an explorer, it could easily end up too heavy. I would consider reducing the body size like gibson did for its X-plorer pro range

What, pray tell, is wrong with one of the African varieties? Khaya's a great tonewood, and if you look around you can quite easily find pretty lightweight, resonant stuff. Sipo and/or Sapele tend to be a little heavier.

I save my honduran for necks. Can't say I hear the difference in bodies, but it's a little more consitently strong/stiff per unit weight compared to the african varieties, although I'm a huge fan of Sapele as well.

What, pray tell, is wrong with one of the African varieties? Khaya's a great tonewood, and if you look around you can quite easily find pretty lightweight, resonant stuff. Sipo and/or Sapele tend to be a little heavier.

I save my honduran for necks. Can't say I hear the difference in bodies, but it's a little more consitently strong/stiff per unit weight compared to the african varieties, although I'm a huge fan of Sapele as well.

I was told that Honduran Mahogany has a sweeter sound and is slightly lighter but that' s not from actual personal experience.

I have an African Mahogany Jem that's I'm working on and the wood looks like it has slightly more density and smaller pores compared the the Honduran Mahogany I got for my flying V project. I could be way off here but that's what I noticed from the pieces I have. I understand that the sound difference may not be huge but the density might make a difference on overall weight.

This wood is for an Explorer with a 1/2" Korina top. The Korina top will be lighter. Personally, I don't mind heavy guitars as I have a real heavy '74 Les Paul Custom BUT this project is for someone other than me.

There's huge variation between various pieces of mahogany; as a rule, the Khaya I find is lighter than Honduran, but the Sapele and Sipo are heavier. I do have Khaya that's heavier than honduran, and Sapele that's lighter than Khaya.

Overall, they're all very, very close in terms of weight range.

If you're going korina anyway, why not go for all-korina? It's beautiful wood, works great, and is (here, anyway, for non-black kornia/limba) cheaper than either African mahogany or honduran. Also, it's almost always lighter, and the traditional wood choice for explorers.

Since yous ay you are adding a 1/2" Korina top it doesnt really mater as much which wood you choose with the weight! You can always put some randomly placed 'tone chambers' ( read- forstner drill bit holes) in under the top to reduce weight. As long as you dont do really large chambers it shouldnt sound too much like a semi