Is This A Single Coil Or Small Humbucker?

jsnhavoc

Okay, I desoldered it to find that the pickup is contained itself inside the cover. Rather than being screwed to the baseplate.

By what I can see I still have no idea what this pickup is. I didn't want to force the pickup out of the cover without checking with somebody here.

It looks like a maybe theres one magnet in the center of the pickup. But I am really not sure. Here's a picture.

th_pickup3.jpg

Quick question that I'm sure most of you wont have trouble answering.

I think you spoke too soon...it is hard to tell from the picture but could this pickup have come from a bass? Gibson made a pickup which had it's coil on it's side...it that centre part windings?

It seems quite unusual...

What you may like to try are the guys over at... Pickup Maker's Forum ...there are a few professional makers and rewinders who know about this stuff...

Good Luck... pete

If you know what guitar it came from that'd probably be helpful in identifying it.

I was going to say it looked just like a mini humbucker until you took the base plate off!

The construction (ie everything stuck in the cover) looks a lot like an epiphone pickup I dismantled. Is this possibly an epiphone mini-humbucker of some discription?

I was going to say it looked just like a mini humbucker until you took the base plate off!

I thought the same thing, Now I have no idea what it is.

This actually came from a guitar body I've had for a while but i have no clue what brand it is. The guitar is a pearlescent white, double cutaway, semi-hollow body. I'll search around a little more and see if I can put a model to it.

Thanks guys

Edit:

Wow, I actually found it this time. It's from a daisy rock 12 string and it is a mini-humbucker.

http://www.daisyrock.com/products/stardust...oH_12string.htm

I was thinking about putting it in my Epi LP, between the two full size humbuckers. What would be some of my options for wiring and controls? I would like to keep only four pots if possible.

Principle of design is good although I take back what I said about it being worth anything as Daisy Rock are cack :-D

You would have to change from a toggle to a three/five-way which is a lot more hassle. You have whatever options you want but you need to tell us what you would want otherwise there's nothing to work with.

You would have to change from a toggle to a three/five-way which is a lot more hassle.

Not true...On my sustainer strat with modified wiring...I use a three way selector (gibson style) and have one of the pots as a volume control for the mid pickup...that way you can dial in as much or as little of this mid pickup to any selection that you like...

I would want to be sure thaough that you want to cut into the guitar to add another pickup. A mid pickup can have a great sound with other pickups but can sound a little "phased" (thin)...it can sound great on strats (positions 2 and 4 for that classic dire straits sound) but who knows on your guitar...

Mini HB's can sound ok and guitar player like the sound of this guitar...it looks good with all that chrome too!

There are lots of wiring options if you wanted to add switches but the fade/vol control idea is perhaps the easiest...check out my thread on wiring tips and tricks...lots of links... :Dpete

You would have to change from a toggle to a three/five-way which is a lot more hassle.

Not true...On my sustainer strat with modified wiring...I use a three way selector (gibson style) and have one of the pots as a volume control for the mid pickup...that way you can dial in as much or as little of this mid pickup to any selection that you like...

CooL! Is this basically the same cosmetically as an LP toggle? I wouldn't mind one of these myself...!

CooL! Is this basically the same cosmetically as an LP toggle? I wouldn't mind one of these myself...!

I do have another one if you really want it. I'm not sure how much shipping would be to UK, but that's about all it would cost you.

For wiring, how about,

Three volumes, a master tone, and the three way switch just selects one pickup at a time.

The only wiring I've done is swapping out a few pickups, so I dont want to get myself into anything I would get too overwhelmed with and never finish. Is there anywhere I could get a diagram for this wiring?

Once again thank you all for your replies. :D

Did this on a 3 pup LP I built about a hundred years ago and I love it. I really built it that way more for looks but found it to be very useful, especially for studio work.

I do have another one if you really want it. I'm not sure how much shipping would be to UK, but that's about all it would cost you.

For wiring, how about,

Three volumes, a master tone, and the three way switch just selects one pickup at a time.

The only wiring I've done is swapping out a few pickups, so I dont want to get myself into anything I would get too overwhelmed with and never finish. Is there anywhere I could get a diagram for this wiring?

Once again thank you all for your replies. :D

I was more thinking as a retail source for when I find a use for one, now I know they exist but thanks for the offer! :D