spray gun

repoman

For general 'it'll do everything' gun, I use a pint-sized Campbell-Hausefeld from Home Depot.

It's pretty affordable, I can go buy one on Sunday if I have to, I can beat it to hell and not really care that much about it, etc...

I also have a more expensive Sharpe pint-gun that I use for more detailed stuff, it falls between the C-H and an airbrush, it's tip is a bit more refined than the C-H. The C-H is great for laying on thick clear coats.

If I had only once choice it'd be the C-H. Cheap, and it can do most any job you need it to.

should i stay away from hvlp guns and top gravity feed ones?

I would stay away from HVLP only because the good ones require the turbine style compressors which are expensive. Also, my experience with the HVLP guns I've owned is that the overspray isn't much less than a high pressure gun, and the finish does not flow out as nicely as a high pressure gun.

However, gravity feed is the way to go. No paint wasted, no air bubbles causing spattering, no dripping bottles when you tip it, just a far better system. I use an Artisan gun from APC.

The Sata stuff is fantastic but you pay for it, Binks is very good, Sharpe makes wonderful guns, and Iwata makes fantastic guns but you pay a lot for them too.

The big gun I use has a 1 quart cup on top, and I generally am spraying 3 or more bodies at once, so I like to put about 22oz in the cup, that will give me about 3 coats on 3 bodies, it isn't heavy and uncomfortable to hold, and I don't risk running out halfway through a coat.

I have a question for you paint experts.what kind of air compressor do I need?I have seen some with 8 bar max and 7(25 L)gallon tanks with about 50(210 L)gallon/min suction and others with 10 bar max and 14 gallon(50 L)tank and 75gallon/min suction or do I need something even bigger,I dont think I will do more than 1 guitar at a time.are there filters around to get the moisture out of the air between the line and the gun?(so no water can get in the paint and make my life miserable)

Here's my

'home' setup. I used to have a spray booth and shop years ago. My big 25 gallon compressor is in storage, so I use my portable 'upholstery' mini compressor. I have to wait for the tank to fill up after a few passes, but no biggie. I've done a few guitars using this setup and it's fine. My Mattson HVLP 'gun' works with any standard compressor. You'll just need to use at least a 5/8" hose. I tried the HVLP 'system' and they suck...well at least when they first came out. This gun (Atom-Miser gravity feed) has a pressurized cup and shoots very much like a conventional (yeah, some overspray) but when you open it up for clear coats, it really flows nice and heavy with control. Adjust spray and volume when I shoot kandies and it's perfect, even bike frames, which can get tricky to get an even kandy. I love this gun, It's almost 10 years old and I used it to shoot dozens of furniture and over 30 bikes and quite a few guitars. It was'nt cheap, but it's paid for itself many times over. Most paint shops carry at least one inexpesive line of generic guns...a small siphon touch up gun is around 40 bucks or less and will probably be enough to shoot a decent finish, especially if you expect to sand and buff the clear coat. If you expect to be painting a lot, best to save up and buy a quality gun, there is a big difference, yeah, those Sata's are sweet and pros love 'em. DeVilbiss and Binks are good guns that come in a wide price range, I have some generic guns I use just for primers. If you look at the base of my gun, you'll see a screw on water trap. I also bleed the mini tank before and after I paint, my bigger compressor has a water and oil trap on a hard line. Good luck.