Satin Finish On A Neck

buredf

I'd like to see some close-up pics of the *wipe-on poly finishes* (gloss and satin) on a fret-board, if anyone knows where I can see those.

I just put a super-glue finish on a scrap fret-board, and I'm wondering how a wipe-on finish compares, looks-wise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...lue_finish2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...lue_finish3.jpg

Yeah, I know it ain't satin, but funny thing is, I went over an area with steel wool, and it made that area into a nice *tough* satin finish (area is too small for a decent photo, so take my word for it)

Edited by soapbarstrat

Marcel, super glue goes a long, long way - one of those little bottles would finish several necks.

Wow....I did not post on these boards for about 1 year and people still know my real name? :D

I never would have thought that you could finish a whole fretboard or more with a little bottle of super glue. I am curious how he applied it as well....

Yes, it's only super-glue over bare wood. It's mostly the next thickness up from water-thin. Although for the final coat, I mixed some water-thin in with the thicker glue. I'm also amazed at how glossy I got it .Got that way from going all the way up to 2000 grit, then switching over to some finer "papers". Didn't use any machine buffing device. Took some elbow gease.

Still had plenty of glue left in the bottle after doing that scrap board (1/2 ouce bottle of glue, $3.00 at hobby shop).

I used to like oil finishes best, but the super-glue finish gives some good options, including just having a super-thin coat, which hardens the surface of the wood, then when fine-sanded, it's a really nice satin finish. If it doesn't feel "satiny" enough, steel wool seems to take care of that, even on the thicker finish.

I've heard that Eric Clapton's necks have a super-glue finish. Don't know any details, but would like to.

Edited by soapbarstrat

if you want to fill the grain, fill with a filler, or do the 'wetsand with oil' thing; apply oil, start sanding, making a 'slurry' with the oil and the sandpaper, which then gets pushed into the pores.

Personally, I really quite like the pores on oil finished guitars, so I don't bother.

I spread it on with flexible plastic strips. I will assume it will hold up every bit as well as a catalyzed poly finish.

I have also sprayed water-thin super-glue through a modified airbrush. Might go back to that, but I don't like the hectic tear-down I have to do with the airbrush right after spraying just one quick coat. But, good thing I held onto that old badger I bought for $14.00 when I was 12 (didn't ruin it yet, either)

Yeah, you definitely need some sort of air flow AWAY from you when messing around with larger that normal quantities of CA. And remember that CA cures by a chemical reaction with moisture in the air (moisture-induced polymerization) and the surface its applied to, ie. monomers binding into a polymer. So make sure your surface is dry and humidity is low or the stuff will kick in before you get a chance to work it into the grain. You can buy CA glues that react slower.