Boss Pedal Problem...

Alarung

Hey guys,

I just finished setting up my first real pedal board today. I'm daisy chaining from a single adapter.

The adapters good for 300mA. The total draw for the pedals is 125mA-ish. They're all 9v pedals, and the polarity of the daisy chain is correct for all of them.

My problem is, my Boss DD3 Delay won't work when it's plugged into the adapter. The LED comes on, but the effect dosen't happen.

The other pedals in the chain are a Marshall Supervibe chorus, a MXR Distortion+, and a George Dennis Wah. They all work properly.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks guys,

Matt

mammoth guitars,

No, the pedal isn't working with the adapter at all... :D Now that I think about it, I don't thinbk I've ever tried running the delay with a power supply before. The adapter I'm using is quite generic, it was laying around the house. The reverse of what I needed, but I turned the leads around this morning, so that the tip's positive. It looks like I'll have to take the thing apart. Could it be an issue with the AC jack?

The thing is that the LED comes on, so there IS power going through. It's just not really working...

And yeah, I'm plugged in the input. :D

Previous versions like the DD2 have a 5v regulator that is used with the 9v battery or the DC input jack. The LED is powered from the 9v source before the regulator as well as the footswitch circuit. If you can disassemble it and trace the power to the regulator it might give you an idea if the regulator is a problem.

First things first.

Check your connections. Are you plugged into the right jacks etc.

Does it work with a battery? (again, you said the LED works with the PSU, so if this works the PSU aint pumping out enough juice)

Check the unit with a mates PSU. (if it works, you're PSU aint pumping out enough juice :D)

If the LED comes on, its not a problem with the power jack, its probably something inside the unit or the PSU. But bear in mind, just because the PSU says its good for 300ma output, it doesn't mean it is.

As it works fine with the other (lower power) pedals, i'd say the psu aint pumping out enough juice. If you want a new one, the godlyke power all is good (1.7A output :D)

S

As it works fine with the other (lower power) pedals, i'd say the psu aint pumping out enough juice. If you want a new one, the godlyke power all is good (1.7A output :D)

The power supply is able to power the other three pedals all at once, and their combined curret draw is a bit more than the DD3 draws.

But yes, the pedal does work with the battery.

mammoth guitars, the regulator idea sounds worth checking out. The original Japanese DD3 was the exact sasme model as the DD2, but maybe my taiwanese DD3A is different?

Thanks for everyone's help,

Matt

Edited by Alarung

Small point, the regulator isnt the problem.

If it was, it still wouldnt work with a battery as the input voltage is 9v (or there abouts) with the PSU or the battery, and the regulator (to get down to 5v) would be needed in both cases.

Rated current draws on bottoms of pedals are hardly ever accurate.

But.......

I was looking for a dd-3 schematic to see how the regs are wired etc... and came across this....

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/bossadapt.htm

Bottom of page might be interesting to you :D

S

Small point, the regulator isnt the problem.

If it was, it still wouldnt work with a battery as the input voltage is 9v (or there abouts) with the PSU or the battery, and the regulator (to get down to 5v) would be needed in both cases.

Agreee, assumed the battery was tested and the same issue was found. Must be the adapter or somthing with the jack.