angled or flat peghead

I was just about to setup for some scarf gluing pics, when I remembered I used a much simpler technique for my last neck, and it was the easiest one I've done so far.

first I cut the two halves of the joint, using a jig I developed. I thought it was unique until I saw one almost identical on Martin Koch's guitar building site...

Once the two sides are both ready, and fit together perfectly, I got out my big roll of masking tape. Without any glue in the joint, I made sure that the laminations matched up on the headstock face.

I then ran a strip of masking tape from the 2nd fret (no fingerboard yet, just an approx' position) to the end of the headstock. This holds the headstock on so you can hinge the joint open. I then opened and shut the joint a few times, making sure I could easily line up the laminates on the rear of the headstock.

Once I was happy, I applied a good layer of titebond to the joint and closed it up. The tape held it alligned at the front, and I was able to hold it shut with finger pressure, then apply two of the smallest plastic spring clamps I have (Stew Mac sells them as Kerfing clamps) to hold it good and tight. The titebond gels pretty quickly, so after 5 minutes or so, the joint has lost any inclination to slip, and you can leave it to dry.

My previous setup was more complex, and involved clamping one half of the joint to a board, then pushing the other haf into place and clamping. I think the only reason I needed to get that involved was:

1. The glue - I was using a much more slippery glue, which made everything slide all over the place. People claim titebond is slippery, but it far less so than any other aliphatics I've tried, and has a much quicker initial 'gel'.

2. The joint - I wasn't getting the joint perfect, which meant applying too much pressure with clamps to try and close it, which forced it to slide apart due to the forces acting on the two tapered surfaces.

Once I corrected these two problems I found it a breeze. I'll use the Stew Mac staple trick next time, it may be overkill, but it can't hurt :D

dave, the staple trick  see the stew mac page for explination.

I know of the staple trick, thanks anyway Derek.

It's difficult to explain the way I do it and why it's hard to line them up.

What I usually do is leave a little wood where it will eventually be flush with where the fretboard will sit. That makes it a bit tricky to line up from above. I also use tape to help hold it in place before clamping. Once it looks good, I drill two bits in and leave them (off to either side where the wood will get cut away later), then clamp. I use a laser line to keep center lines in synch during the alignment.

I guess I just don't have confidence that I could line things up well enough by eye the way I do it and the way you described. I'm not doubting that it works for you, I can tell it does. If it were off by a 64th, I would probably not want to use it and I think my eyes would have a hard time judging that.

Actually, my pegheads wouldn't look right with a stripe (or two or three) down them since they are not symetrical. I appreciate you spending the time to share your technique - this is the best guitar building site in the world as far as I'm concerned - lot's of people willing to share ideas/techniques and usually without egos getting in the way.

Thanks again for the explanation.