Mesa Dual Rectifier/peavey Jsx

westhemann

I sold mine well over a year ago. I'm usually the one singing the song of "back off the gain a bit, add some more mids, you mushy scooped-mids fiends"... so I'm of the exact same opinion as y'all when it comes to what makes a decent metal tone. But I think the Metal Zone is mediocre at best. It's not the WORST pedal ever, but it has a deserved reputation...!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold mine well over a year ago. I'm usually the one singing the song of "back off the gain a bit, add some more mids, you mushy scooped-mids fiends"... so I'm of the exact same opinion as y'all when it comes to what makes a decent metal tone. But I think the Metal Zone is mediocre at best. It's not the WORST pedal ever, but it has a deserved reputation...!

You're the only person I know on here so far, that's given it this "reputation." Among people I know, it's considered a great pedal, so I guess we're rolling with two different packs.

Edited by levelhead86

Not true! I most recently came across this opinion at Gearslutz, when someone was talking about running a Metal Zone into a Valve Junior. As it turns out, though, what sparked the sharing of the "MZ is mediocre" opinion was that a posted clip DID sound awesome, and I gave kudos for that. Frankly, the tone was astonishing for a pedal + $99 amp. Simply astonishing. When I hear good tone, I'm going to give it credit, because of my ears rather than because of what's printed on the pedal's casing. BUT, I was rejoined by others who were blinky-eyed at the MZ having a great tone. :D Which is evidence that yes, the MZ can sound good, but that yes, other people share my opinion that it's generally mediocre.

In any event, you're talking bollocks. I don't know what teachers you think you know, but I don't know them, and I'm not one of them. You know that annoyance you probably feel when people stereotype metalheads as closed-minded slacker idiot stoners/drunks with not much else going for them and very little in the brains department? You know and I know that stereotype is complete horses***. I suggest you take your stereotype of teachers (wherever it came from, I don't really know) and refrain from painting me with it.

In any event, you're talking bollocks. I don't know what teachers you think you know, but I don't know them, and I'm not one of them. You know that annoyance you probably feel when people stereotype metalheads as closed-minded slacker idiot stoners/drunks with not much else going for them and very little in the brains department? You know and I know that stereotype is complete horses***. I suggest you take your stereotype of teachers (wherever it came from, I don't really know) and refrain from painting me with it.

that's why it's a joke dude....a joke based on stereotypes that i used to rib you about in past years....so i guess now i can say teachers have no memory or sense of humor either... :D

lighten up,greg...before i have to point out that you avatar is still giving the finger B)

do the emoticons help get my tone across better? :D

Yeah, I knew it was meant to be joking, but you can imagine how often as a teacher I encounter those statements. I'm pretty thin-skinned when it comes to jokes about my "calling", even when I suspect they're meant light-heartedly. That "crushed" initial feeling when reading those jokes makes it tough to just laugh it off. Dunno why I'm so defensive, though-- my profession (in Ottawa at least) has served me ill, and I ended up having to take a non-teaching job. *sigh* The Ottawa teaching market sux.

Sorry for getting snarky. :D

Greg

I'm surprised at how many people like (though it's also been clear that they don't "LOOooove") the Metal Zone. It's known as being a surefire recipe to destroy tone. :D

I think most people who hate hate hate the metalzone haven't used it for long enough to work out the EQ on it. The EQ is VERY tetchy and despite being a 3 band with moveable mid frequency I found that there were only a couple of settings on it that actually sounded good, IMHO you're far better off using seperate graphic EQ's to get to the sound you want and just use the metalzone purely for the distortion. Its also very dependent on what amp you're driving with it and what the settings on the amp are like. If you're running it into a slightly crunchy channel then you can get a bit more tone back by turning up the gain on the amp and turning down the metalzone.

Personally I prefer the Line 6 uber metal, its cheeper, has 3 differant models, has a built in noise gate (which btw is actually very good on all but the insane setting) and best of all the EQ is a lot less fussy AND has a better range than the metalzone. The Boss HM-2 is also a good pedal IMHO...I don't use it for what I'm normally playing (Black metal) but its really good for super downtuned stuff (Doom or Drone Doom).

:D someone needs to read to the end of the thread before commenting eh guys?

Edited by Robert_the_damned

Its also very dependent on what amp you're driving with it and what the settings on the amp are like.

i noticed the exact same thing a few years ago...it's true for ALL gain pedals.

i have found the most guys in metal are trying to achieve close to the same tone,but how to get there vairies wildly

for example...i have always played through marshall amps...which the metal zone,zoom driver,line6 stuff works well with...but i recently tried to run my metal zone through an old amp(peavey i think) of a friends,and it did not work well at all...but he could get a tone very similar to my rig by running a multi effects tone works unit through his...

Its also very dependent on what amp you're driving with it and what the settings on the amp are like.

i noticed the exact same thing a few years ago...it's true for ALL gain pedals.

i have found the most guys in metal are trying to achieve close to the same tone,but how to get there vairies wildly

for example...i have always played through marshall amps...which the metal zone,zoom driver,line6 stuff works well with...but i recently tried to run my metal zone through an old amp(peavey i think) of a friends,and it did not work well at all...but he could get a tone very similar to my rig by running a multi effects tone works unit through his...

I'm guessing you don't have your metalzone distortion cranked all the way up and have your amp gain set quite high? I'm kinda doing the oposite (hi-gain on the pedal and only a small amout of gain on the amp).

on the mode 4,you have four modes(imagine that!)...i use the first "channel" which is modeled after the jcm 800....i set it sparkly clean,then add the pedal gain from there....

since i have my preamp gain set so low,i use the master volume to set the loudness,which is where the 350 watts comes in handy...because you need ALOT of headroom to back off the gain so far and still have useable volume