I Bought A New Guitar.

radrobgray

so i had some extra money from my new job and i felt like spending it. i ended up picking up a 1985 Hamer USA Scarab II, very judas preist, for about $350 W/ a case. the paints a little worn but no major damage and the hardware is pretty much new. i thought it was a sweet deal. all this talk about kahlers had me wondering.

body.jpg

full shot

guitar and case

Edited by Rob G.

What's your verdict on the Kahler? Is it in good'nuff shape to form a strong opinion?

well ive always been a (original) floyd rose guy. but, personally i belive one is not better than the other, they are just different. they are both awsome

Kahaler pros:

Easy string change (no cutting of ball ends)

Smoother feel

Softer bar tension

smaller cavity

adjustable every thing

kahler cons:

NO flutters

not as much pull up as the floyd

and I think that theyre uglier.

in the middle position on the pups it doesnt sound like any other guitar i have ever played. it sounds like a wha is on, ala michal schenker. are the pups out of phase? or what?

A Scarab II in Red/Black Zulu - a very cool steal for $350, the HFC's favorite price ! Oh, and the Krokus reference is a bit confusing to me as i thought that Fernando von Arb always used Chapparal's ?

Anyways, cool score best get yourself over to the HFC and let the madness begin.

Jem

not as much pull up as a floyd?i question that a bit...slayer does some pretty outstanding pull ups on theirs...and my floyd always bottoms out before i reach that stretch....plus pulling back on a floyd lowers your action...so with decent string height it frets out before i reach "the glory spot"..hehe

but i just got my first one recently,and i will not have it attached to my explorer until i finish it(around august?)

but before then have ordered a v made with one which should be here in about 3 months or so...

so 3 months for the first kahler equipped guitar,then the explorer,then another in a year or so...i should be quite well set up

all i can tell yu about my kahler now is that it is very well designed...and it has adjustments for string spacing,string height(including customizeable radius),intonation,bar stiffness...pretty much all very eeasy to do(unlike setting the intonation on a floyd) and when the bar is used,the string seats never move,so intonation stays perfect during use and the string height never varies...so no fret out

uglier?yeah i have to agree....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If your pickups sound like a wah when they are both on, they are out of phase. Reversing the ground and the lead on one pickup will fix it.

I got a used no-name ax that had that same problem, but the pickups were different enough that they didnt cancel a whole lot of signal and ended up with an awesome tone. Ever since, I've been putting phase switches in all my axe's. It's exceptionally versatile when you have separate volumes and tones for each pickup because you can get some very unique tone shaping out of it, but again, this is something I never would have discovered had it not been for a used axe that I got with the pickups out of phase.