Douglas Fir Neck

Further to the posts on here some months back I have now more-or-less finished the Douglas Fir neck guitar.

This is a neck though with Fir that was sold as "D" grade. A pick through found some pieces with good straight and tight grain. I chose a quartred piece and made the centre laminate from two pieces of Fir and a 1/4 piece of Sapele in the centre. The sapele was only used because it was free (came from a stick between some planks) and was the only pice 1/4 thick that I had that was long enough at the time.

Body sides are Cedar with a 1/8 facing of mahoganu on front and back.

The board is ebony and the truss rod was a twin tod (rick-style).

I like it. The neck is certainly as stiff as most other guitars I have and there are no apparent problems. The neck needed very little adjustment and it was cretainly easy to carve.

There is little point talking about the sound as there are so many factors and this one has an unusual bridge arrangement but the overall feel is resonant and bright. Not too pingy and great fun.

I have started another with a totally Fir neck and have some more waiting for me to start on them.

You should try it, it is fun.

Melvyn Hiscock

Hey Melvyn Hiscock!

I just got your book in yesterday, awsome! Good easy reading, a read and go build book.

I am glad we are talking here about soft woods, if I can take to another type - Redwood I have a 2" slab of it and I was thinking about a solid body like a LP/PRS type anygood? Do you think it would be strong enough for the neck also?

Hey Melvyn Hiscock!

I just got your book in yesterday, awsome! Good easy reading, a read and go build book.

I am glad we are talking here about soft woods, if I can take to another type - Redwood I have a 2" slab of it and I was thinking about a solid body like a LP/PRS type anygood? Do you think it would be strong enough for the neck also?

Thanks for buying the book and I am glad you like it.

I have used redwood on acoustic guitar fronts and it is nice. I would imagine it would work on a body but if it is quarter sawn send it to me and I'll make acoustics out of it, it is hard to get over here!

Redwood may be strong enough for a neck, it depends on the piece. Remember that not all douglas fir is going to be good enough. I chose a tight-grained quartered piece that was obviously quite stiff.

How do you feel about using pine in bodies, and since im here, Is poplar string enough for a neck?

Thanks

Not used ordinary pine in bodies myself but have read a lot about it from other people. I may have a play with it soon to see what happens. I liked the pictures of the pine Tele that were on another thread.

I have used Parana Pine and that is a good wood for bodies. Very similar to Alder which, despite something posted on another thread, is not that easy to find over here at the moment. The yard where we used to get it no longer does it as it is not used for much else and so not economic.

I wouldn't use poplar for a neck. But then I don't like it for bodies either and hate working with it. It may be OK, it all comes down again to whether it is stiff.

Nope, you won't get any usefull timber out of limbs. It'll all be reaction wood, and will warp and dance about like crazy whilst it's cut and drying. To get usefull wood you really need the trunk of a tree at least 18 inches across, and 2 or 3 feet is better.

Anything else is firewood and not much else.

wow,i had to reply to this thread, both Setch, and Melvyn ....I have to thank the both of you...your book Melvyn, and your web page Setch both were so helpful in the creation of my first guitar that I made ( pictures are in a different thread in this forum) I'm editing the recordings from last night so that I can let peple know how it sounds...very cool and my hats off to both of you!!

JasonBird

Hey Melvyn Hiscock!

I have used redwood on acoustic guitar fronts and it is nice. I would imagine it would work on a body but if it is quarter sawn send it to me and I'll make acoustics out of it, it is hard to get over here!

Redwood may be strong enough for a neck, it depends on the piece. Remember that not all douglas fir is going to be good enough. I chose a tight-grained quartered piece that was obviously quite stiff.

I will send it if you take me on as an appretice :D

This redwood slab looks like its just cut across the tree (tree bark along the edges) like it was going to be used as a coffee table or somthing, I can't tell because its 20 years old dark and needs to be planed, but it is 6' long 24" wide, I was going to use it in the guitar build off .... :D I won't go there though!

But check this redwood guitar out:

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.p...038268d81c#2788

Well here it is, the begining of a PG!

Redwood_Slab.gif

Edited by RMS

Hey Melvyn Hiscock!

I will send it if you take me on as an appretice :D

This redwood slab looks like its just cut across the tree (tree bark along the edges) like it was going to be used as a coffee table or somthing, I can't tell because its 20 years old dark and needs to be planed, but it is 6' long 24" wide, I was going to use it in the guitar build off .... :D I won't go there though!

But check this redwood guitar out:

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.p...038268d81c#2788

Well here it is, the begining of a PG!

Redwood_Slab.gif

That looks like it would make an awsome coffee table. Kinda looks like I see a bit of burl(maybe???). This is the kinda stuff Melvyn is talking about for acoustic tops-

redwood3.gif

Peace,Rich

Redwood_Slab.gif

Yes, it was to be just that a coffee table. I have no room in my house for that use. It kinds looks like Burl but the grain dont look too deformed or spotted so I am not sure if it is or not BUT it does have that irregular shape to it.

That looks like it would make an awsome coffee table. Kinda looks like I see a bit of burl(maybe???). This is the kinda stuff Melvyn is talking about for acoustic tops-

redwood3.gif

Peace,Rich

That is a nice stock pile of wood you have there, should be good for what 20 guitars?? what size and thickness are they?

could douglas fir be used to construct a chapman-stick type instrument?

*cough*

No, I wouldn't. We're looking at around to 150 pounds of string tension on a 6-string bass. Do the math on a similar scale instrument (most Stick's I have seen are 34") with possibly more strings. Nothing wrong with some inexpensive woods such as Purpleheart or Maple with stiffening rods.

could douglas fir be used to construct a chapman-stick type instrument?

*cough*

No, I wouldn't. We're looking at around to 150 pounds of string tension on a 6-string bass. Do the math on a similar scale instrument (most Stick's I have seen are 34") with possibly more strings. Nothing wrong with some inexpensive woods such as Purpleheart or Maple with stiffening rods.

That's a good point but you need to remember that a lot of wood is removed from a guitar or bass neck in the shaping and much of this is left on for a Chapman stick. There is much more mass there as it remains much squarer.

I would say it is worth a go, based on my experience on this guitar and a couple of others I am doing. Certainly I wouldn't worry about using it as part of a laminate.

Go on, give it a go, it's a good way of learning!

MH