First Complex Inlay

guitar2005

I finished my first complex inlay and the result is OK. Some parts are nice and tight and others have a bit more filler. :D

I had a bit of trouble following the traced outline. I used the tempra paint trick to make the outline. I also had problems with fuzz. I'll buy a downward spiral bit for the next inlay I do.

For this one, I might darken the wood in some areas to blend in the filler... although, the wood will darken over time.

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL912/43163...1/217738477.jpg

Any tips or comments are welcome.

:D

Tips? Yep, don't beat yourself up. I have a pretty trained eye for this sort of thing and I see the mistakes. Most people, from a normal viewing distance probably won't notice much. It's better than you are beating yourself up about.

Just keep practicing. :D Each job will get better.

Keep at it.

I just glued in my star inlay for the third time today. I'll see tomorrow if it turns out ok.. hehe..

It looks good, funny that we should do the same design, I wouldn't think that it was that 'typical'.

I'm not sure when I'll do my Ra design, probably have to finish the first guitar before I start a second one, right..?

Cheers, and happy new year!!

It looks good, funny that we should do the same design, I wouldn't think that it was that 'typical'.

I'm not sure when I'll do my Ra design, probably have to finish the first guitar before I start a second one, right..?

Yeah... I know. We're also both doing a Ken Lawrence explorer style guitar. :D

I was looking for something different that fit the Jem for which this fretboard is destined. Since Jems had the pyramids back in the 80's and I'm a huge Iron Maiden fan (ref. Powerslave album), I thought that this would be cool.

I just can't find a logo for the guitar's headstock B)

:D

Haha, that's great, Powerslave is one of Maiden's best albums in my opinion.

For the headstock, go with the 'R' that Derek Riggs always signs his paintings with!! (joking of course).

I'm actually still wondering what I'm going to use for my headstock too... :D

I'm sure it will turn out for the best in the end!!

(can't wait to get home from work and sand down the glue on my latest inlay...)