Rolled Edges Fretboard

i do something of the sort on my guitars...after i bevel the fret ends i run a sanding sponge up and down the length of the fretboard right at the same degree as the bevels...it smooths up the bevels and takes the sharp corner off the fretboard...makes it just feel nicer.

only takes about an extra 2 minutes

It actually makes the neck feel so much more comfortable than you expect - I've done it on a Warmoth neck after buying it, and my Fender Strat (american series) came that way. From the feel of the Fender's neck, it feels like they made the neck a little wider than usual, and used this extra width to help shape the rounded edges - thus avoiding having to make the fretboard thinner.

Edited by Bainzy

Thank you!

I think I understand.

It's the wood between the metal frets that are rounded a little?

I read somwhere (jemsite I think) a guy that rounded the edge with the whammybar, would that work?

It`s the corner ,where if the guitar is laying on your bench,the face of the fretboard meets the side of your neck,from the nut down to the body,both sides of the guitar neck.Not face and back.You will be rounding the EDGES of the fretboard(It would be all trim getting rounded if you have a border).and the ENDS of each fret.Not the wood on the face inbetween.

Think like the edge of a countertop or table.

Your quote above sounds to me like you are describing scalloping.

There is a tutoral somewhere on how to do`The rolled edges `(Like Wes described) that edges your frets at the same time.It`s like an angled block that holds a file that puts a uniform bevel on all the frets.Then the sanding sponge.I believe it is on the Jemsite.I also use that method.

I did it to a OLP Stingray copy and used that bass for several years.It fealt awesome.

(Sorry if my description is confusing :D

I have read somewhere that the name comes from the fender way of doing it. In the custom shop they take a standard round shafted screwdriver and “drag” (or roll, hence the name) the shaft against the edge. They don’t sand any wood away. More like compressing the edge wood down between the frets.

There are 2 ways fender does this, and it has nothing to do with a screwdriver.

1- Fender MIA line....after fretting, the edges are scraped rounded with a razorblade. Go back and forth all the way up to the fret. Change the angle of the razor on each pass to get a rounded edge.

2- Fender custom shop.... after fretting the fret ends are carefully shaped with a file, then they use a buffing machine which has "scotchbright" abrasive pads on it- similar to dishwashing pads.... they run the fretboard edge back and forth over these wheels which smooths the fret edge more, and rounds over the edge of the fretboard at the same time.

3- if you have binding, the edge is carefully shaped with a razor scraping it to shape, and you need to spend a great deal of time dressing the fret ends with sandpaper/files.

seriously..the sanding sponge takes care of all of it at the same time...it is ridiculously easy and the end product is exactly the same.usin a razorblade is asking for it to bite into the wood.the pads are much safer

+1 Just look at Brian's tutorial. This method is so easy and the results are excellent.

Brian's "Fretting Simplified" tutorial

+1 Just look at Brian's tutorial. This method is so easy and the results are excellent.

Brian's "Fretting Simplified" tutorial

That`s the one I was talkin` about,Good find :D !

There is a tutoral somewhere on how to do`The rolled edges `(Like Wes described) that edges your frets at the same time.It`s like an angled block that holds a file that puts a uniform bevel on all the frets.Then the sanding sponge.I believe it is on the Jemsite.