Alternative Wood Sources

Hey Everybuddy,

I was looking at an old military desk I picked up at the rescue mission store for really cheap. The top seems to be solid mahogany. I was thinking it would be perfect to rip into a guitar body. The right thickness, and it being from the 60's I'm sure it's well dried out. But I like my desk and I'm not going to tear it up.

It got me thinking though, I might drop by the mission and look at some busted up desks. How bout you people? Have you found any sources for wood?

I've heard of people using old doors and tables. Sounds like a good source! Ottawa's unlucky for me, though-- no pawn shop prizes (pawn shops typically think their crap guitars are worth MORE than they should be, for crying out loud) and no solid wood furniture for cheap. :D If any Ottawans have discovered differently, I'd love you to share your secret. <chuckle>

I posted in another thread here about how I befriended the local shop manager at a Millshop/Cabinet Manufacturer. I explained that I would take his off cuts and scraps for building guitars, he seemed ok with the idea that they'll be put to good use. I think if I needed anything re-sawed or planed that was larger than my machines could handle, he would not have a problem getting it done for me. -Vinny

I live in a really old neighborhood. Once the a big deal, but now it's mostly college students. Anyway, I was useing my new hand plane to fix a couple doors that stick. I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's solid and safe to say at least 40 years old, maybe more.

Hmmm.... wonder if old land lord would notice a missing closet door?

I have had old mahogany from window-makers before. I got 2 6"x6"x6' planks for free, not many people in the uk have handmade mahogany window-frames anymore and the stuff was top notch.

I also recently found the woodstore at the school i work at. I went in because they had some iroko worktops from science rooms that caught my eye. whilst in there i found a large stack(50 or so) of 1" thick mahogany planks from old book cases, i am helping myself to that at the moment, the iroko can wait till that runs out. They also had alot of beech and a few old billets of mahogany as well. They dont do real wordwork at school anymore so i have been allowed to help myself :D

The top seems to be solid mahogany.

Better make sure. I took on the job of refinishing an old coffee table (60's vintage) owned by my friend's mother. She assured me it was solid teak. I guess I should have double checked for myself. Anyway, I'm sanding away the old coffee rings etc. and BANG light colored particle board shows up! Yes, I sanded thru the veneer which was only about 1/32" thick. I tried to cover my mistake "artistically" with various stains, dyes in hopes of matching up the surrounding grain but no way can it be done. So now I bought some teak veneer and hope I can lift off a section of the old veneer and replace it.

So look for any bookmatch seams in the top of the table as well as any kind of binding straps around the edges. If there is any of that you can be sure its a veneer cover.

I have had old mahogany from window-makers before. I got 2 6"x6"x6' planks for free, not many people in the uk have handmade mahogany window-frames anymore and the stuff was top notch.

I also recently found the woodstore at the school i work at. I went in because they had some iroko worktops from science rooms that caught my eye. whilst in there i found a large stack(50 or so) of 1" thick mahogany planks from old book cases, i am helping myself to that at the moment, the iroko can wait till that runs out. They also had alot of beech and a few old billets of mahogany as well. They dont do real wordwork at school anymore so i have been allowed to help myself :D

Stick to the mahogany.

Iroko is heavy, a pain to work (dulls tools), and currently the only wood that gives me a rash. It looks pretty enough when finished au naturel, but gimme mahogany any day...

I've heard of people using old doors and tables. Sounds like a good source! Ottawa's unlucky for me, though-- no pawn shop prizes (pawn shops typically think their crap guitars are worth MORE than they should be, for crying out loud) and no solid wood furniture for cheap. B) If any Ottawans have discovered differently, I'd love you to share your secret. <chuckle>

Yeah... I know what you mean. Ottawa pawn shops sell their stuff for more than what it would cost new...

Its amazing what you can get on the street on garbage night though. I picked up a beautiful red cedar door :D .

:D

Stick to the mahogany.

Iroko is heavy, a pain to work (dulls tools), and currently the only wood that gives me a rash. It looks pretty enough when finished au naturel, but gimme mahogany any day...

Thats the plan, i was only going to use the iroko becasue i saw it and i cant really turn down free wood, when i found the mahogany in the back i was much happier