Telecaster Pickups

Hello all,

I'm planning a tele build and I think I have all the parts figured out except for the pickups. I'm really confused here on which ones to get. To narrow my search so far, I've only been looking at Fender, but I'd be open to other companies as well.

What sound am I looking for you might ask? Well... vintage country twaing for sure! It would also be nice if it had a nice overdriven rock/blues sound.

I played some teles at the music store and I liked the Texas Special pickups, but I'm not sure how vintage they are. If I had to pick today, I'd probably go with the OV although I've never actually heard them. Just basing that on what I've read.

Few other details that might help. One piece swamp ash body, Wilkinson adjustable compensated vintage (3 saddle) bridge, 25.5" scale length, maple neck and fingerboard. Oh... G-dec practice amp.

I've read a ton here and you guys have been a great help. I just need a little guidance on this one. I realize this is probably the single most important decision for getting the right sound, and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!

Jarrod

If you like the texas specials on the guitars in a shop then use those, you will probably find they sound even better on the guitar you make yourself. Dont worry about how vintage they are. Its a telecaster, they have been used for vinatge country twang and overdriven rock with just the standard pickups so you really cant go wrong.

Although if you have the money i really would recommend these

bare knuckle pickups - yardbird

bare knuckle pickups - country boy

The only one I have experience with is the little '59 bridge pickup. A good pickup, but not what I'm going to recommend-- I recommend checking out the Lindy Fralin set-- at least to the extent I did, which is that they get great reviews everywhere I look.

Greg

I would recommend saving up for a new amp instead of building a guitar with boutique pickups. The G-DEC is a nice little practice amp, but you could plug a $5,000 PRS 513 into one of those things and it ain't going to sound any better than a $100 Squier Hello Kitty strat.

Having said that, there's also no good reason to lay out the prices Bare Knuckle is charging for their pickups. SD's Vintage '54 will give you the twang you seek for a lot less green. If you want a little hotness for the blues check out the Vintage Broadcaster.

Hi Jarrod

it sound like your going for a premium tone. I do the same thing I like a little more in a pickup.

I love tele sound and have 4 tele guitars with different pickups in each one.

I get a vary nice twang from a Seymour Duncan stk-t2b Hot stack for tele bridge pickup. nice country twang and a great Robben Ford sound.

the pickup have the silver bar going across witch adds to the look if your going with chrome bridge and tuners. I use a bill Lawrence stacked strat witch has a nice warm tone.

the Texas special pickups are vary cool I have them in a couple guitars one strat one tele

the Texas special tele neck pickup is a vary nice sound.

Come on HOME, brush off the road dirt, grab a plate and get some grub for dinner, we'll take care of this business where it should be taken care of, on the homestead. :D

Do a search there, you'll find enough reading on great and proper Telecaster pickups to keep you by the fireside for a spell or two whilst you water'n your horses... :D

We don't sidle up to no fancy-schmancy noiseless, stacks, or rails of any type (except Bardens), just good, solid, twangin-n-rockin' possum tater'n solid Telecaster goodness.

Make the trip and get hip. B)

Hello all,

I'm planning a tele build and I think I have all the parts figured out except for the pickups. I'm really confused here on which ones to get. To narrow my search so far, I've only been looking at Fender, but I'd be open to other companies as well.

What sound am I looking for you might ask? Well... vintage country twaing for sure! It would also be nice if it had a nice overdriven rock/blues sound.

I played some teles at the music store and I liked the Texas Special pickups, but I'm not sure how vintage they are. If I had to pick today, I'd probably go with the OV although I've never actually heard them. Just basing that on what I've read.

Few other details that might help. One piece swamp ash body, Wilkinson adjustable compensated vintage (3 saddle) bridge, 25.5" scale length, maple neck and fingerboard. Oh... G-dec practice amp.

I've read a ton here and you guys have been a great help. I just need a little guidance on this one. I realize this is probably the single most important decision for getting the right sound, and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!

Jarrod

Hi

As someone who builds a LOT of this style, I can confidently recommend Fender Custom Shop Nocasters, Harmonic Design Vintage Plus, and John Suhr pickups. These are all unbelieveable choices!!!

Peace,

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of opinions! I'm sure all of them are good. After reading though this and reading the forum from Drak's suggestion, I think I'll go with the Nocasters.

As far as the G-Dec. It is going to have to work for me for now. I'm not in a band, and I have a wife and 3 kids (one of them a baby) at home. The little G-Dec is about all the punch I can have in the house at this point in my life. I do have friends though, and I'm sure I'll be running this guitar though some bigger stuff when it's complete!

Now, the next question... Does anyone have any recommendations for a vendor? I'm not seeing many people selling Fender pickups on-line.

Thanks again. You guys are great.

-Jarrod

As far as the G-Dec. It is going to have to work for me for now.

Well, if that's the case, why all the anguish over which pickups to choose? Really, just go for basic Fender pups...they're easy to get (since all the tone-voodoo chasers are swapping out theirs for those super overpriced boutique jobs). And hell, if Fender can't give you the tele tone you're after, what's the point? Besides, with that little amp, and at the low volumes required to allow the baby to sleep, just about any tele style pickup will do for you.

Don't buy into the hype.

As far as the G-Dec. It is going to have to work for me for now.

Well, if that's the case, why all the anguish over which pickups to choose? Really, just go for basic Fender pups...they're easy to get (since all the tone-voodoo chasers are swapping out theirs for those super overpriced boutique jobs). And hell, if Fender can't give you the tele tone you're after, what's the point? Besides, with that little amp, and at the low volumes required to allow the baby to sleep, just about any tele style pickup will do for you.

Don't buy into the hype.

I can understand that, and I've probably gone a little overboard on this project. Right now this should be a pretty nice instrument and I'd rather not skimp on the pickups. (Assuming I can execute the build). I've had the same Applause electric guitar for 18 years. It's time for a grown-up one!

Besides, the G-Dec isn't the only amp this guitar will ever be played though.

Well, that's cool, just as long as you understand where we're coming from. I know myself I'd hate to see you sink $300-$400 into pickups that really aren't going to make a huge difference over stock Fenders or Duncans if you honestly felt like the boutiques were going to give you some new found mojo.

Anyways, one thing I'd suggest is just find a little Fender Junior or Blues Junior amp. They're not very expensive and even the small tube amps like that'll bring out a lot of character in those high-end (and stock) pickups that the G-DEC and other processor-based amps just gloss over.

Anyways, one thing I'd suggest is just find a little Fender Junior or Blues Junior amp. They're not very expensive and even the small tube amps like that'll bring out a lot of character in those high-end (and stock) pickups that the G-DEC and other processor-based amps just gloss over.

I play through a 15-watt tube amp (like the Blues Junior)-- don't be fooled, they're way too loud to use at home, if you want that overdriven power tube sound. I have no problem making myself heard with the band either. Only thing I really need is a larger cabinet for it.

But Wisconsin, buying real Fender pickups for a telecaster isn't skimping, it's buying the right pickups for the guitar. I can understand looking at different brands/models if you're after a different sound, but it really does sound like you're looking for that true tele tone.

I play through a 15-watt tube amp (like the Blues Junior)-- don't be fooled, they're way too loud to use at home, if you want that overdriven power tube sound. I have no problem making myself heard with the band either. Only thing I really need is a larger cabinet for it.

But Wisconsin, buying real Fender pickups for a telecaster isn't skimping, it's buying the right pickups for the guitar. I can understand looking at different brands/models if you're after a different sound, but it really does sound like you're looking for that true tele tone.

I found a pretty good deal on some new nocaster pickups on eBay last night. I think that will be the only actual Fender part on this "Fender" style guitar. :D