Guitar Frenzy How To Build A Neck Jig

rjhalsey

Guys and gals I need help. I have been searching the web looking for an article that was on guitarfrenzy.com and can not find it anywhere. The article is called "How to Build a Neck Jig". If anyone has a copy of it with pictures or can lead me to where I can download it I would be very appreciative. I found the archived page from Google but it does not display the pictures and only includes the first page of the article.

Thanks in advance.

ralph

ralph@highspeedjunkie.com

Guys and gals I need help. I have been searching the web looking for an article that was on guitarfrenzy.com and can not find it anywhere. The article is called "How to Build a Neck Jig". If anyone has a copy of it with pictures or can lead me to where I can download it I would be very appreciative. I found the archived page from Google but it does not display the pictures and only includes the first page of the article.

Thanks in advance.

ralph

Post the link of what you have, so we can have a better idea of what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance.

ralph

Why don't you just ask him nicely through PM or e-mail? Let me give you a hint, Matt's login name on PG is "Guitarfrenzy" He's actually quite a nice guy.

Thanks in advance.

ralph

Why don't you just ask him nicely through PM or e-mail? Let me give you a hint, Matt's login name on PG is "Guitarfrenzy" He's actually quite a nice guy.

I did through email and PMed here on this forum. I got a reply from him once stating he was going to put the site back up and that was the last I heard from him, that was in August or September of last year. I tried to send him a PM and even emailed him a couple of weeks ago but I have yet to receive a reply. I guess I will just keep looking. Thanks guys.

ralph

ralph

Edited by rjhalsey

Matt is VERY busy these days. And he doesn't owe anyone information, just because he once provided it (for free !).

How about instead of waiting for Matt to give you the info again, you instead study the photos of the StewMac neck-jig just like Matt had to do.

That jig is not that complicated, and I might sound mean, but if a person can't figure out a simple jig like that on their own, I have doubts they'd be able to use it on their own.

Matt is VERY busy these days. And he doesn't owe anyone information, just because he once provided it (for free !).

How about instead of waiting for Matt to give you the info again, you instead study the photos of the StewMac neck-jig just like Matt had to do.

That jig is not that complicated, and I might sound mean, but if a person can't figure out a simple jig like that on their own, I have doubts they'd be able to use it on their own.

wow a bit harsh.

I don't think anyone feels he OWES it to them, but after he spent all the time figuring out, designing, building, and documenting his project. You'd assume he has it backed up besides the website.

If his website went down, and he still had it backed up I see no harm in asking him about it.

I would also be willing to put it all on my webspace so others can view it until he decides to get it all up an running again

I asked about the fret slotting jig before I made mine, to see others opinions about it. As well as see methods used.

I came up with one, built it and explained how I did it.

If I hadn't looked it up I would of started blind, and eventually made the same thing, but a head start is never a bad Idea.

the Jig is interesting, and as I see it, pointless. I guess on a guitar with no neck angle it would give you a number behind what the strings pull tension wise, or how much more warped it was from last time. Personally, I use the action as my gauge.

But to each his own,

if you build it, people will buy it I guess..

Let me know when they build a suspended kit with sliding rails to check string action

until then I'll use one of these:

Ruler%20Steel%2016in%20Stamped.jpg

yeah...stuff happens.

thhe thing is,like soapbar said,guys like matt get too busy once things kick off for them to spend the vast amounts of time they used to spend maintaining that stuff.if his pics are no longer on his hosting site,the chances of you finding them somewhere else are slim...you should take the advice you were given and study the original....

wow a bit harsh.

pfft...toughen up...if you think that is harsh then i guess we have different definitions of that word...you guys have too many feelings... :D

Interesting. I was looking at that tutorial on his site about a month ago. It was still up then.

The point of the jig is not to make the neck straight with no strings on it. The point is to recreate the shape of the neck when under the stress of both the truss rod AND the strings ... which depending on the particular neck may be more or less different than the neck shape without any string tension and the truss rod backed off. That allows one to level the frets and/or fretboard in the shape it will have under tension. Does the difference matter? Often no. Sometimes yes. It also plays a role for certain tricky repair tasks. Do you need it? Probably not if you are building new and have strong, stable necks. But I wouldn't call it pointless.

my grandpa turned boilermaker after the war...apparently welded alot of water towers around texas...he wasn't a big talker though like me...so the specifics are a bit fuzzy...he was senile by the time i certified as a welder...so then he wanted to talk about it...he just kept telling the same stories over and over...then when he figured out what he was doing he stopped talking any more than he had to...he was afraid he might say something he had just said a minute before...senility is a bitch...

oh yeah...my grandpa was more like a dad to me...no dad around,so i went to hang out with grandpa while he worked...he was retired as long as i remember,but he had rental property,a backhoe business on the side,and was always doing something that i could help him with.he was around until i was about 21 or 22,then he went to live near my uncle(his son) in a rest home,then died at 99 y/o when i was about 30.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I've been so busy lately with work, and time I do have has been spent playing music on weekends in a local band, or repairing, building guitars. I am seriously sorry if I didn't get back in touch with everyone of you guys on the neck jig, as I haven't really had time to mess with it. I did take the time today to rework it, and convert it to PDF file for download. Since I don't have a website to publish it, I sent it to guy who runs a blog, you can find it at this site below..

guitarwise.blogspot.com