Chambered Solid Body

Chambered solidbody "acoustic" does not exist. :D There are chambered solidbodies, and yes there are many threads about the subject. My own thread on my orphaned project (I'll get to it, I'll get to it...) has pics of chambering. As you would expect, they are just... empty chambers within the body, instead of it being absolutely solid all the way through. If the forum doesn't turn up anything, Google a bit or go to Warmoth, who sell chambered solidbodies.

Greg

If anything, he probably means A la Godin's multiac/A lines. They technically are NOT acoustic guitars. They are chambered solidbody instruments that they then "color" to sound CLOSER to an acoustic with peizo pickups instead of magnetic ones, and spruce tops to get a little closer to acoustic sound, oh, and using acoustic strings on helps in that area a little bit too. But they are, without a doubt, merely chambered solidbodies with mods to get them sounding as much LIKE an acoustic as they can.

Chris

the search feature does not work too well anymore unless you know specifically what keywords to use(say if you remember the thread and are trying to re-find it)

i used to tell newbs to search as well..but since i came back i noticed right away that searching was damn near useless...and i even knew what threads i was looking for...the only luck i had at all was if i remembered who posted in it and included their name in the search.

the "signal to noise" ratio is much too low now from all the cross chatter in the forum...there is nothing to be done about it...lovekraft warned us many,many times about this happening,but nothing has been done,and now it is much too late without a major forum restructure.

so my advice is this...if you know where the thread is,post a link to it...if you know the answer and feel like discussing it again,do so...if you don't want to be bothered....then stay out of the discussion...there is no reason to turn this into "that" kind of place.

i know...like said,i went through the same "dang it SEARCH!" phase when i was here last...but it wasn't helpful then,and it isn't helpful now...

now to be clear...if somebody posts one more time "can i use pine as a guitar body?" i think my head will explode...but i bet the search feature still works well enough for that...i bet if you searched on "pine" all kinds of stuff exactly on the topic would show up...

but if you search for "hollowbody" or "chambering" it is not specific enough...

Demars Guitars has what they call a solid body acoustic - essentially a solid body with piezo pickups which several outfits have done. The twist that Demars introduces is a piezo located under the neck joint in addition to the typical piezos down by the bridge.

Adrian Legg's Custom Guitar is a "chambered solid body" as you describe. It uses piezo pickups to provide the acoustic sounds he used to get from a conventional acoustic.

Regards,

Rob

the "signal to noise" ratio is much too low now from all the cross chatter in the forum...there is nothing to be done about it...

i know...like said,i went through the same "dang it SEARCH!" phase when i was here last...but it wasn't helpful then,and it isn't helpful now...

'Chambered' pulls up all the info he needs, although I agree that the search function blows for more involved questions. It's just sheer laziness to not even try to search.

Since I tend to ask a lot of questions, I make a point of running a few searches before I post. That way I can preface my post with "I tried to search but..."

And yeah, sometimes I have to wade through a few dozen posts in order to find the info I'm looking for. And quite often, I learn a few more things along the way.

Of course, 70sguy might still be trying to catch up with the 21st century. :D

Samick has an interesting approach to the semi with their Greg Bennett Royale series.

An alternative to the forum search is to leverage Google's advanced search functionality which let's you put in your search terms and specify searching against a particular site. Here's an example:

1. Go to Google.com

2. Enter the following and execute the search: cad site:projectguitar.ibforums.com

What this does is instruct Google to search for the term "cad" ONLY against the PG forum. Apart from leveraging the power of Google's search capabilities, it also lifts a very specific constraint of our existing forum search - the inability to search three letter terms. You can also force the search to look for very specific phrases simply by wrapping your search terms in quotes.

Of course, the effectiveness of this approach is dependent on how often Google indexes PG content but I'm guessing that's fairly often based on my own experiences with Google and the site search function.

Finally, I'm wondering if switching the site's search to be powered by Google is an option. With Google Adsense, Google let's sites add a Google search which you can toggle to point either to the site or the general Internet. My experience is specific to blogs but it might be feasible for a forum as well. Incidentally, this Google search could also become a source of income for Project Guitar that is relatively unobtrusive to its community. Just a thought...

Regards,

Rob