New Member, New Guitar Design

I really like the design, my preference goes to the semi hollow with f-holes. The headstock looks a bit small compared to the body though. I have a bias towards larger headstocks (a la Rickenbacker), more so than most and that's probably coloring my opinion.. If you do decide to make your own neck that's what I'd recommend.

Yeah, if I do make my own neck I would most definitely do the headstock differently than in that rendering. It would be somewhat larger, but not a massive difference. I would really just try to make it match the lines of the guitar a little bit more while keeping it a 3 and 3 style.

Here's an idea of the modified headstock... guitar1c-3-mockupcopy.jpg

OK, a question for all you experienced (And not so experienced) builders. If you were to pick up one book that detailed the construction of the electric guitar, what would that book be and why? Obviously there are numerous books on the market that claim to lead you through the design and building of an electric guitar, but of all of them you've seen which one has been the most helpful to you? What has been the single best written reference that helped guide you through the process?

Haven't you read through this forum yet? The main Project Guitar site? You should already know the answer to this one (and already have ordered the book).

After all this, I really hope you end up building this guitar.

As for the new headstock--it reminds me of 'Mini Me' or that alien stuck in the guy's chest in Total Recall. In other words, it's trying too hard--it doesn't flow with the design, just replicates it.

I've got the Hiscock book bookmarked. I'm on a spending freeze until I start my new job next week, but i'll be ordering it shortly. I was merely asking to find out if there were any other preferred references that people had.

As far as the headstock is concerned, I can kind of see what you're saying. I restricted myself a bit by basing it around the warmoth headstock, but I actually do like the shape of it. I might tone down the flare at the end a little bit while mantaining the matching curve. But we'll see, i'll likely play around with the headstock some more.

I'm pretty happy with the body design, however, and an working on a full sized template so I can make a practice run on the guitar. I need to dig up old strat neck from somewhere so that I can bolt that on to test things out.

I've got the Hiscock book bookmarked. I'm on a spending freeze until I start my new job next week, but i'll be ordering it shortly. I was merely asking to find out if there were any other preferred references that people had.

I've got 3 guitar building books. Go with Melvyn's. Complete, instructional and very readable.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is where I am currently at with my guitar body design. Obviously a lot is subject to change as I learn more. Right now I don't have the holes shown for the knobs or the bridge, since I haven't decided for sure what bridge to use. I've got this setup in photoshop so that everything is 1:1 scale, 300DPI, and I can print out templates easily to make my MDF templates. I can also move things as necessary since i'm not sure about a lot of things particularly with regards to the position/size of the neck pocket (I'll just used the finished neck as the actual template for routing that anyway) or pickup/bridge placement. I'd guess that i'll probably do 2 templates here. One for the body shape and everything to be routed in the top, and one for the control cavity and chambering. I'll probably do the wiring channels freehand or make a simple template for them, since their placement isn't as critical.

I've got a lot of questions at this point, but most will probably be answered once I get my copy of the Hiscock book. Since i'm a few months away from any actual cutting i'll just keep planning and reading and refrain from asking any dumb questions until i've exhausted all other options. :D

guitar1dsplashpage.jpg