Music Store New!

Can anyone help me out, or point me in the right direction?

Sure, head toward the music store. Tell them you need a set up. They'll charge a minimal fee, change the strings, maybe the nut, reset the neck/trussrod, etc. It'll cost you less than $50 and the guitar will play like new again.

Of course, that's assuming you haven't worn all the frets down and it's time for a fret dressing, etc. That's a bit more expensive!

As for the 'pull-off' problem, you need to be more specific --do you mean the strange sound happens when you're doing pulloffs? or do you mean that the string pulls off the neck itself. The first will definitely be fixed with a setup, the second indicates a different problem.

You can learn how to do the setup yourself, of course. The best way is, if you're friendly with the tech at the store, to ask him to let you watch how he does it.

As for the 'pull-off' problem, you need to be more specific --do you mean the strange sound happens when you're doing pulloffs? or do you mean that the string pulls off the neck itself. The first will definitely be fixed with a setup, the second indicates a different problem.

for example when i play the intro to the spirit of radio, the high E pulls off the neck, making a high pitched noise... almost like the string is too close to the edge of the fretboard. I am pretty familiar with the setup process, but cant seem to find a really good guide on the total setup on a floyd-equipped guitar..

for example when i play the intro to the spirit of radio, the high E pulls off the neck, making a high pitched noise... almost like the string is too close to the edge of the fretboard.

Either the string spacing is off or the fret ends were angled/rounded off too much... or you are dragging/pulling the string too far sideways when you perform the pulloff. Or all three. :D

Try keeping your fingers more perpendicular to the fretboard, and use more of a "bouncing" motion when you perform the hammer-on/pull-off vs. letting your fingers slide off the edge of the neck.

I can make my high E do that (especially with that riff), but it's not a problem if I play the thing right.

some guitars are like that...it is because the frets are too beveled.

could be from normal wear,could be a bad fret job...could be alot of things...but i notice alot of the custom shop fenders are way too close on the high e side.

my ibanez sabre did that from fret wear after about 7 years...i swapped out the neck with a warmoth(mostly becauseit was a special and it had ss frets) and now i don't have that problem