Still Confused About Big Amps

Mickguard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried a Variac to lower the voltage into the amp? They let you use all the power amp distortion you want. Also for your boost, I'm guessing for the solos, have you thought about taking your amp to a mod shop and getting them to install a second footswitchable master volume? these are the bees knees to get out in front for the widdly diddly bits.

I tell you, hauling all the heavy equipment around can get old, especially if you play every weekend. By the time we setup our pa equipment, lighting system, etc. it's not fun to haul in a Marshall stack in just for a small club. It also kinda defeats the purpose of miking everything. If you play so loud that the sound guy can't bring your volume down to match the others, then you have a problem anyway. Seriously, there are local bands that the lead guitar player plays so loud that it makes everything sound terrible, and being a lead guitarist, that's saying a lot. I use to think I had to play loud on the stage, but nowdays I understand that it's better to have a great state of the art PA system to drive your sound, that way the soundman can get the mix correctly. Once you get the stage volume down, you can hear your monitors better, which is a good thing, since you can get the mix you personally like on stage. So really, you don't have to use a massive amp, I normally use a combo amp, but have since bought a new practice amp, and have thought about using it, simply because I never turn up past 3 on my other amp and it's miked anyway. So to me, just as long as you have a good sound, go for it, even though the stage prescence might suffer, although you'd be suprised how many people don't even care or notice what your playing through. Unless they're a guitarist that is.

Yeah, that's what I've read...but does that happen in the course of a night? And is it really that dramatic?
yeah it really is...the tubes get hot and really mellow out.

It'd be nice if some of these companies would come out with serious quality low-power amps.

well...i am not sure what you mean...but there are alotof boutique builders who do just that...

vht has a 50 watt pittbull for boutique metal guys...engl makes 50 watters i think...and there are many,many more.

have you looked at orange amps?i hear good things about them.

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/index.php?con...ii=50&mid=2

maybe you want 25 watts

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/index.php?con...ii=81&mid=2

anyway...they are out there...but they cost the big bucks

I've got a 1964 Fender Champ amp that I wouldn't trade for the world, and I think it's like 10 watts, but it's still got the best blues sound out of any amp I've ever heard. Needless to say though, I don't play it out on gigs.

same as this one

The blackface champs are 6 watts, and justifiably famous for their tone, especially for such little amps. I almost built one, but I finally decided on the tweed deluxe instead.

Epiphone just came out with an interesting amp....the Blues custom....it's a 2x12 cabinet with a 25/15 pentode/diode....even has a tube rectifier...doesn't have tremolo, otherwise I'd be buying one....just because...

I've also discovered that there are mod kits available for the Epiphone Valve Junior...I'm seriously considering modifying mine...I wonder if there's a way to modify the speaker output for 8 ohm? (right now it's set at 4 ohm)

The Vibro Champs come up for auction now and again, sell for around 350 euros! I'll grab one eventually...although I wouldn't mind building one if I could find a kit (has to have that tremolo though)

To answer your question(s)

Don't buy a mod "kit", it's a waste of your money. I spent less than $10 on mine because parts are cheap as dirt if you don't buy them in a kit. PM me if you want the final schematic of mine, It's got a few simple mods on there and it sounds much better than stock. Yes, you can set the speaker out to 8 ohm. It's as simple as switching one wire around.

Another great resource for building low watt tube amps is ax84.com I built a P1 (slightly modified to suit my tone) and it sounds great.

There are alot of interesting things you can do to it. Here is one where a guy rebuilt it into a champ

IMO anyone with a VJ needs to mode the crap out of it :D There is just so much you can do to it so easily.

Edited by Godin SD

Another good amp-building forum is www.18watt.com. In their "By the Bench" section there is a current 220+ page thread on modifying the valve jr., with mods directed at voicing it more like fender amps or more like marshall amps plus some general upgrades.

The valve jr. output transformer has a 4 ohm tap and an 8 ohm tap. You would have to disconnect the 4 ohm tap from the output jack and connect the 8 ohm tap. That's the one wire change that Godin mentions.

Edited by jnewman