What Do You Think Of This Bandsaw

ihocky2

I am looking for a bandsaw, but don't want to get something terribly expensive. I found that Craftsman has a 12" saw that has a 7" resaw capability. It uses a 89-1/2" blade. From the little bit of looking I have done, that doesn't seem to be a common blade length. Will a 90" blade work in this saw, or does it have to be 89-1/2"? Or am I better just looking for a different saw all together?

I am looking for a bandsaw, but don't want to get something terribly expensive. I found that Craftsman has a 12" saw that has a 7" resaw capability. It uses a 89-1/2" blade. From the little bit of looking I have done, that doesn't seem to be a common blade length. Will a 90" blade work in this saw, or does it have to be 89-1/2"? Or am I better just looking for a different saw all together?

Could you post a link to the particular saw? If you mean the 12" Tilt Head (looks like this), I would stay away from it. I have one and like it for what it is, but the split table is impossible to keep flat.

Not sure how much you're looking to spend, but you can get a Jet 12" band saw for around $300. If at all possible, I'd go with a 14" or larger, or at least a 12" that will accept riser blocks, though.

Having said that, I have the 12" Jet and it's a great saw. Can't resaw anything very big, though.

I've read on woodworking sites that Sears has, on occasion, saws that have odd blade sizes. Coincidently :D they're the only ones carrying that size. I've heard other complaints, particularly with their hobby size saw that one is forced to buy a package of 3 saw blades which may contain blades you have no interest in using. Check Grizzly also for a 12" model along with Riggid's model. They're probably a better deal (or go with the Jet as Rick500 recommended)

I have a 12" Craftsman saw (different model), and I would have to agree with the recommendation that you look elsewhere. It is a good saw for many jobs. With a 6" resaw capacity and a small motor, it is about worthless for resawing, and it can't take a riser block. Yes, it does use a strange, Craftsman-only blade size (I think 91" in my case) ... and there is not enough adjustment to take a 90" or 93" blade. Craftsman has since stopped selling the blades, so I will have to custom order or make my own when my current stash runs out. I plan to add a serious resaw machine to it soon.

You would be MUCH better off to spend a small amount more and get one of the many 14" models on the market with a standard blade size and that takes a riser block. You will be much happier in the end. Buy used if necessary.

One thing about bandsaw's is you get what you pay for. Take if from a real looser when it comes to selecting a bandsaw.

Don't assume the tension screw will be long enough to get the 90" blade to proper tension, on saws that size the tension screw is short because you cant mount larger re-saw blades which needs longer tension screws.

I started out with a 12" Craftsman in the 80's with an aluminum corrugated top and the corrugated top was a real pain in the butt. I was so frustrated one day I almost filled in the slots with epoxy then looked at the cost.. The cuts were lets say just ok at best and the motor didn't work for re-sawing things like 7" maple. Blades were hard to find, only sears sold them and they were expensive because sears is expensive when you compared things like blades. I scrapped that saw and bought a cheap 14" Bandsaw made in Taiwan which was just a piece of garbage, after two tears I scrapped that saw too. I finally bought a Grizzly 18" Bandsaw (Older C style which they no longer sell) and have been suffering with it now for 10 years. With 1/4" blades the machine is fine, but for re sawing it's a beast. The lower wheel is not perfectly true which makes the Bandsaw shake on larger blades. I have replaced the wheel but the new one was only slightly better (aluminum wheels). I like the size but not the saw. I have also found ball bearing guides to be very noisy and not worth the extra money or added any real value to the bandsaw.

I am looking at $2000 band saws now to replace my grizzly as a final solution to my bandsaw dilemma, Laguna and Minimax both sell Italian manufactured rock solid Bandsaws. But most hobbyist cant afford a 220v 800lb monster. The grizzly will be delegated to tasks such as cutting up scrap wood for the garbage bin and other lesser tasks. If you do have bucks they also sell a 14" saw, one of them does. I am saving my pennies for the new saw later this year.

For a first time saw, and if you are serious about your work, minimal size should be 14" and it should take 93 1/2" blades (a universal standard). Unless you want to buy a blade welder or order custom blades when you can no longer find blades. Don't assume your saw will be a standard model in a few years. Grizzly sells several 14" models which have been updated over the years and should work just fine. But you are looking at the $400 range. You can also re-saw hardwood with most 14" bandsaws and if you have an expensive piece of wood that is a big help. Riser blocks are available to increase the re-saw capacity in the future.

The bandsaw should be one of the most used tools a luthier's shop so don't cheese out you'll regret it. Take it from me it could be the best or worst tool you will own.

Woodenspoke

Here is a link (I believe) to the saw in question

Craftsman 12" Pro bandsaw

I have been looking at this saws big brother.

14" craftsman Pro bandsaw

I've read pretty good reviews of both saws. Seem to be a good value. I wouldn't think that it would be a huge deal to get blades, even with the odd sizes. Most places that sell decent blades (timberwolf etc.) make custom blades and it doesn't seem to cost very much extra.

My question is how much resaw capacity do you need for acoustic tops and backs. Seems like it would be more than 8"...right?

The new sears are just Chinese clones. If you are going that route just get a Grizzly, because if you have a problem down the road you will get immediate service from grizzly and they always have parts in stock. I may not have loved everything I bought from them but when I needed parts or assistance it was immediate. it's worth the few extra dollars for the support alone especially if the products are almost identical. I would rather have a European style frame as an option they should be stiffer but the performance depends on the saw itself.

I'm not knocking sears. Do your own comparison shopping just putting in my two bits worth.

Woodenspoke

Grizzly Top 14" saw 2 HP $800+

Grizzly lowest end 14" saw 3/4 HP $335

Same top of the low end 14" saws with cast iron wheels and 1 1/2 HP sweet$500+