Painting Equipment

FL6433

Do you guys have some recommendations on what kind of painting equipment I should buy?

I'm looking for a compressor and gun, so I'm not sure what kind of gun or compressor to get, or if there's anything else I need.

My focus will be solid body electric guitars.

Maybe you guys know of some decent equipment or brand names that come at a good price.

Thanks.

Without knowing your budget or location, it's hard to make specific recommendations. I can only tell you what has worked for me: a 13 gallon/5HP Campbell-Hausfeld compressor (here) and a 20 oz gravity feed spray gun (here). I have gotten very good results with this setup, and it doesn't break the bank (I'm borrowing the compressor from a friend... if I were to buy my own, I'd get the HF equivalent, which is about $130 on sale). The only caveat is that I have not been able to get the sort of efficiency that others claim. It takes me about a quart of lacquer to put 15 relatively thick coats on a guitar. Some people claim to be able to finish a guitar with a pint. For a few guitars a year, I don't worry too much about the efficiency.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I think a cheap gun is a good buy for a beginner. How can you know what features you want until you've found out for yourself? Buying a $200 gun just doesn't make sense until you know what you want from a gun. Also, if you ruin the gun because you haven't figured out how to clean it properly, you don't want to be out a ton of cash.

EDIT: Buy a respirator! Seriously. Don't cheap out with your health.

Edited by fookgub

Without knowing your budget or location, it's hard to make specific recommendations. I can only tell you what has worked for me: a 13 gallon/5HP Campbell-Hausfeld compressor (here) and a 20 oz gravity feed spray gun (here). I have gotten very good results with this setup, and it doesn't break the bank (I'm borrowing the compressor from a friend... if I were to buy my own, I'd get the HF equivalent, which is about $130 on sale). The only caveat is that I have not been able to get the sort of efficiency that others claim. It takes me about a quart of lacquer to put 15 relatively thick coats on a guitar. Some people claim to be able to finish a guitar with a pint. For a few guitars a year, I don't worry too much about the efficiency.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I think a cheap gun is a good buy for a beginner. How can you know what features you want until you've found out for yourself? Buying a $200 gun just doesn't make sense until you know what you want from a gun. Also, if you ruin the gun because you haven't figured out how to clean it properly, you don't want to be out a ton of cash.

EDIT: Buy a respirator! Seriously. Don't cheap out with your health.

That's great.

I wasn't sure if there was a "special" compressor for painting, so that helps.

Now I can look into purchasing this and move on to paint.

What kind of paint should I get?

I'm painting 2 strats, one black, one white.

Is there any mixing involved?

I already have a respirator.

One thing I found with a direct drive or oil less compressor is they are noisy. I gave my old oil less away to a neighbor and I am now using a belt driven compressor which is much quieter (bought used from an auction) but they are more expensive. I eventually want to ditch this compressor for a 60 gallon model with more CFM's at higher pressure. Don't forget about some sort of in line water vapor filter which is a must when spraying.

I suggest the LVLP (low volume low pressure) version of that spray gun, costs a few dollars more but is worth it especially of you spray inside, use a small compressor or don't want to waste finish LVLP Gun. This is on my to buy list. I have also found the critter spray gun to work ok, it is easy to clean and is good for smaller jobs but its not gravity a feed.

I have heard of good results with some of the self contained HVLP (high volume low pressure) units but I have not tried one myself. Link They only downsize is you can only use it to spray and I use my compressor for alot of things other than spraying.

Woodenspoke

What little I've read on LVLP suggests that the results aren't quite up to par with a decent/good HVLP gun. I've got a SATA Minijet, lots of money, but worth every penny IMO.

I havent heard that its good to know thanks.

woodenspoke

I would be worried that the LVLP won't atomize the paint very well. LGM has complained about this a number of times with HVLP guns.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that the Minijet is a fantastic gun, but it's an awful lot of money for a beginner. The Minijet may lay the paint on a little smoother, and it may waste less paint, but I know for a fact that the Harbor Freight gun will give great results once you learn how to use it. I still think you should buy a cheap high pressure gravity feed gun first, then upgrade later if you feel the need. Heck, all of Drak's finishes are done with cheapo CH siphon feed guns.

A little disclaimer: everything I say applies to lacquer only. I've never shot anything but lacquer, and different paint systems may benefit more from better equipment.

I mostly shoot waterbased stuff, and materials savings can add up pretty quick; if you can get an extra two guitars out of a gallon (not uncommon, methinks, as a minimum), it won't take long. Mostly, the SATA is a joy to use compared to the nasty, cheap regular gun I had.

My problem is also that I'm in Europe, and you need environmental certificates to sell HVLP guns here, so there are no cheapie ones available, like the Harbour Freight models, that can legally be bought or imported. That, and I like quality tools, so I splurged on the SATA. Can't say I've regretted it for a single moment.

It is about the user, though, not the gun in question. I do reccomend a compact gravity feed unit, though. Just the right size for a guitar, comfortable, and you use all your finish.

I was not impressed with the LVLP guns but I do agree that you can get a decent coat with a cheaper gun. I have a couple of nice DeVillbis guns but I built quite a few with a basic no-namer. If it was not mentioned before, make sure you get a moisture trap on your compressor.

What little I've read on LVLP suggests that the results aren't quite up to par with a decent/good HVLP gun. I've got a SATA Minijet, lots of money, but worth every penny IMO.

I did some web checking after the posts here and read that the LVLP guns don't have a very good pattern (that was the general complaint), That means for a sunburst job it may be an issue. I have used HVLP without problems but I am changing to a top fed gun and retire my siphon feed. I only have a 5 CFM capacity so HVLP is better for my uses plus they are almost as cheap as the standard guns now days. On the general price issues I think for HVLP Grizzly is cheaper than Harbor Freight from what I have seen.

Woodenspoke

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this on the Argos web site (for all those who live outside the UK, Argos is a catalog store)

Heres the link

It's a shame that there aren't any in depth specs on there but I'm sure a bit of digging with Google will find some.

I wouldn't touch one of those for guitar building. They are made to spray large surfaces (fences, houses, etc) and don't provide the nice smooth finish you need for guitar work.

Of course it would still work, you would just have a lot of leveling to do and there are better solutions out there.

I recently got this set of guns from Grizzly.com for only $59.95, item # H7671, they came with gauges to mount at the gun. At the same time I got two 25 ft re-coil hoses (H3275) for $2.75 ea and a small Campbell Hausfeld inline water separator filter $12.95 (G6261). About $90 total delivered. The quality suprised me because I didnt expect anything great for that low a price. I've been airbrushing since I was a kid so Im familiar with taking guns apart and the fit and finish on these grizzlys really impressed me. I will try them out as soon as the cold weather breaks. Will report back. -Vinny

guns.jpg

I have a cheapie taiwenese made suction gun which is a Devillbiss copy that actually does a good job. The idea of having a regulator right at the gun is a good move if like me you have a compressor thats too small. That way there is no pressure drop when you pull the trigger. I found I got good results by cutting back the air pressure to about 25psi and spraying a just wet coat using laquer. That way there is little overspray plus air consumption is minimised.

I reckon like playing a guitar 90% is the skill of the operator and 10% the equipment.