Multimeter Question

I've basically just used it for ohms set at 10K for pretty much all of my guitar electrical. This includes checking pickups to see if they work and to get DC resistance values. And also for checking continuity, ie. uninterrupted current flow, through everything eg. pot sweep range, ground wiring and switches. The only other area I've used my multimeter is to check the battery and voltage output of the alternator in my truck. :D No need to spend a pile of money on something fancy, mine cost less than 10 bucks and the battery has been in there for more than 5 years.

I think almost any multimeter will have this, but the truly indispensible bit for me is audible continuity checker. Nothing says, "yup, that's continuous!" like a shrill annoying beep.

You may want to get something more than the absolute-bargain multimeter. For example, it is useful to have a range up to 600 VDC and 600 VAC for working on tube amps. But, if you were into those, you'd already have a good multimeter. :D:D

I'm building a guitar, a few references suggested that I buy a multimeter.

My question- what features on a multimeter should I be looking for? (include numbers in volts, watts, ohms and such)

Thanks

Harbor freight (this name alway comes up) sells meters for under $20 which will work fine for checking your work. Mostly you will be checking wiring from point A to point B to see if everything is connected properly (continuity). I like meters that buzz when you have continuity, ooh baby. Most meters will have everything you will ever neeed to work on standard guitar wiring. Plus its good for checking outlets in your shop.

Woodenspoke

I think almost any multimeter will have this, but the truly indispensible bit for me is audible continuity checker. Nothing says, "yup, that's continuous!" like a shrill annoying beep.

+1

if continuity is all you need, then a flashlight bulb and a AA 1.5volt battery and some wire will do that. just put it all in series, and have 2 leads. I think you know what I mean

If the bulb lights up your good to go if not then?

LOL

:D)))

MK

Harbor freight (this name alway comes up) sells meters for under $20 which will work fine for checking your work. Mostly you will be checking wiring from point A to point B to see if everything is connected properly (continuity). I like meters that buzz when you have continuity, ooh baby. Most meters will have everything you will ever neeed to work on standard guitar wiring. Plus its good for checking outlets in your shop.

Woodenspoke

Sears has been running one of their midrange models for $12. I lost mine when I moved, but this one is pretty feature packed for the price.

if continuity is all you need, then a flashlight bulb and a AA 1.5volt battery and some wire will do that. just put it all in series, and have 2 leads. I think you know what I mean

LOL

MK

Hey Mike! Yep, that's how I've done it in a pinch as well, though I use christmas tree lights since I have so damn many of them.

LOL

MK

Hey Mike! Yep, that's how I've done it in a pinch as well, though I use christmas tree lights since I have so damn many of them.

LMAO!!! Well what can I say? XMAS LIGHTS! BTW Joseph, you can get a nice Multimeter at Tanner electronices off of 35E at Valwood in Carrollton for about $5 LOL. Nice to hear from you. Hope soccer season and the kids are treating you well?

Hope to see you soon and have a cold one.

Mike

I've got a fairly decent multimeter but I keep a little device in my gig toolkit which is basically a bulb & a battery....you hold one end of whatever you're testing, press the probe to the other end whilst holding down a metal button... if you complete the circuit it lights up. I bought it from a £1 shop years ago & it's been an essential piece of kit ever since.

Get a digital multi- meter. They are a lot easier to read and more accurate than an analogue type. I have had one for about 18yrs and it still works fine. I use to use it every day when I used to work as a Diesel Mechanic. It measures up to 500 volts and fits in your shirt pocket. The audible continuity tester is the most useful thing for wiring on guitars as is the ohm meter for checking pot values and outputs etc.