Carvetop Heaven

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that inlay looks sweet. Are you going to use that one or was it just a test? Where did you buy your shell?

Thanks Godin. I thought I'd start off with a small one.

That was the first one cut and also the one I used on the truss rod cover.

I haven't got any place special I bought the inlay, I just bundled a few mop blanks in with a big Stew-mac order.

DSC04535.jpg

cheers, Stu

Godin, Thanks for the encouragement. I've still got a lot more up my sleeve in the future, I hope. :D

Jester, cheers for that also.

I've decided to dedicate a fair percentage of my future builds to using tonewoods from Australia.

Australia has a lot of strikingly beautiful timbers, but also totally unique ones as well.

I'd like to learn a bit more about the tonewoods I have growing on my own continent first and foremost,

and in doing so, share the experience here .

Getting back to the last build, Below is probably my favourite timber on this guitar. The lace she-oak fretboard.

I thought it was so good on it's own , it more than deserved to be left unadulterated.

( And I'm still slowly learning how to play by the side dots only :D )

DSC04662.jpg

sheoak pic.

cheers all,

Stu

That's really, really clean work and the woods are so cool. The PRS-esque shape and carve are very tasty, great headstock shape to.

I've never seen Maple from down under before, the color looks really nice, very easy on the eyes like Mahogany (I've always though cleared Maple looks to bright) and the fretboard wood, wow, I've never seen that either. You guys need to start exporting some Aussie wood to the states :-)

Stu,

That's some guitar there - it's definitely a case of Moo-aah ...

I hope that your amp does the guitar justice. What gear are you running?

The Quiet One - Moo-aah.............Frank Zappa would be proud. :D

I've currently got a lend of my bro's Marshall JCM-800. In return he's got my telescope.

I'm expecting him to ask for the amp back soon, so I'll have to move interstate I think.

That's really, really clean work and the woods are so cool. The PRS-esque shape and carve are very tasty, great headstock shape to.

I've never seen Maple from down under before, the color looks really nice, very easy on the eyes like Mahogany (I've always though cleared Maple looks to bright) and the fretboard wood, wow, I've never seen that either. You guys need to start exporting some Aussie wood to the states :-)

Sound at 11 - Cheers for that. I'm really happy with this first build. As far as the exporting thing, most of our Aussie timber gets exported. America takes a big slice of them, especially the Blackwood/Acacia.

Stu, how much was your fretboard blank? looks insane!

Also, what does the Acacia neck sound like?

RG - The timber prices are all up on Tim's Website

I prefer to email him direct and ask questions about timbers . A1 for service, too

Since this is my first build, I can only judge the sound , sustain, feel and so on by comparing them against my other factory bought and built guitars.

I guess all I can really say is that I am still completely amazed by the difference in sound, sustain and so on

but I can't tell you why there is such a jump from the bought ones to this build. No idea whatsoever.

Suffice to say, If I had the opportunity to do a build like this and have the exact same result at the end,

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've got a heap of blackwood/acacia lined up for necks in the future and a few figured tops also. And I won't talk about the stack of figured goodies I've been getting from Tim. Other than to say you'll

eventually see them on this forum, no doubt in a work in progress thread. :D

DSC04489.jpg

cheers, Stu

Question - how'd you get the truss rod cover to stay on?? I don't see any screws. Did you use magnets or some kinda clip underneath it?

Whatever you did, it looks NICE. That inlay is sweet too, especially for a first try. Did you use any special tools for that?

Cam

:D

Question - how'd you get the truss rod cover to stay on?? I don't see any screws. Did you use magnets or some kinda clip underneath it?

Whatever you did, it looks NICE. That inlay is sweet too, especially for a first try. Did you use any special tools for that?

I'm waiting on a few gold micro screws to turn up so, in the mean time, it's held firmly in place with double sided tape.

Inlay was done with a jeweller's saw and a dremel with the stew-mac base.

I see you are a lefty. A really beautiful looking axe. Well done!

Where did you get your hardware from?

thanks. The hardware is all from Stewmac. And there's nothing on the guitar that is lefty specific.(in the hardware dept.)

Standard gotoh T.O.M bridge and Gotoh 510 tuners which I'm really impressed with.

Sourcing lefty trems and the like are a real pain, so I'm still looking for a good source for those.

cheers, Stu

Cheers stu, I have never heard of that site, i may email him for some blackwood as i doubt there is any in adelaide.
I hope you find what you need, RG.

I've decided to enter this first build into the GOTM some time soon.

As a great forum and info resource, the thing that makes it so good is the amount of participation in it that moves the site forwardbound.

It's all about getting in there and participating, so , I'm gonna give it a crack. :D

DSC04685_edited.jpg

cheers, Stu :D

• 2 weeks later...
it's definitely a case of Moo-aah ...

Hell yeah Frank Zappa.

Oh yes - and did I mention that Stu's guitar has that Camarillo Brillo? With a guitar like that, perhaps he could BE IN MY VIDEO ... :D

A serious question for Stu - you've had the guitar completed for a couple of weeks now ... what are your thoughts about it now that you've done a few miles on it?

Edited by the_quiet_one

A serious question for Stu - you've had the guitar completed for a couple of weeks now ... what are your thoughts about it now that you've done a few miles on it?

I'm more happier with the whole build now that I've been able to give it a good playing over the last month or so. :D

Initially, when making the nut, I blew it out twice, and recut the third with happy results.

Tuning is also very stable as to be expected, and the overall set up has worked out much better than I expected for a first timer. ( I'm hoping it's not just beginner's luck). :D

For some reason I expected the combination of blackwood and Qld maple to be more muddy sounding (mahogany-like)

than how it is. That's not a negative, but an observation which , in hindsight worked out for the better.

Running through the jcm-800 through a clean channel, All I can say is ' the clarity..........'

I also made a thicker neck than any guitar I've owned before. Again, I wasn't too sure how my cocktail frankfurt fingers were going to go on a thicker neck, but after playing for awhile and then going back to my other guitars, I do prefer the thicker, rounder neck. Another plus. (gee, I'm fluking a few on this build)

The only things I'd really change is the size of the volute. Maybe a bit oversized.

And I'm going to take the straplocks off. They rattle too much in their retainer socket.

The ebony binding worked out well, other than the fact everyone who sees the guitar in person

tends to say " how did you paint the black lines on so straight?" ( The ebony binding looks like it's painted on with

no grain definition for want of a better word.)

Overall, they are all trivial things. I'm very happy with it for a first build. Can't wait to finish the second as I know

it'll be much better.

cheers, Stu