Blues Slide Tuning

Mr. Preston Swift

Crossroads is mostly played in A by so many artists so:

Open A = EAEAC#e

There are other open tunings you can experiment with when playing slide as well. Tons 'o fun. :D

Weezer posted open G. Lots of Robert Johnson songs played with this tuning, Crossroads can be too.

Open D = DADF#Ad (eg. As the Crow Flies - Rory Gallagher)

Open E = EBEG#Be (eg. TV Mama - Johnny Winter)

Open D or E is quite standard along with the minor versions but you can use almost anything that sounds nice open. Obviously blues has a certain sound but I love tuning my acoustic to random chords to make playing a little more interesting...especially if I forget & pick it up to play something, lots of happy accidents that way :D There's also Nashville tuning ( I believe that's what it's called) where you use the lighter strings of a 12 string set so the bottom 4 strings are an octave higher.

Duane Allman and his protoge, Derek Trucks play in open E. In fact they both use(d) open E for all of their guitar playing,not just slide. I think the lead guitarist in Black Crows also does all of his playing in open E. Try 'em all, they have a unique "feel" to them. Don't forget;: to play good blues you need to drink cheap bourbon, smoke cigs or cigars (cigars are more effective), get involved with fast women, and live hand-to-mouth! Sunglasses look cool also. :D :D