Lmi Glue

jay5

I was thinking about trying some of the LMI branded "Instrument makers glue" but was curious as to whether anyone has any experience with it. They advertise it as having several advantages over Titebond, particularly a harder setup. I checked over at the MIMF and read a statement that someone reported failure of this glue but couldnt locate said report in the library. So does anyone have any experience or know where on the MIMF that this stuff is talked about?

I've been using it a lot on my acoustic. It's right now holding my top and back together, as well as my rosette stuff in, and my head and tail block. Come to think of it, it's been used pretty much everywhere so far. This is my first time using it so I can't tell you about how it's gunna hold up, but the man teaching me hasa used it for years on a number of guitars and he seems to be doing fine. I'm a titebond original guy myself, however it's not a bad glue. Dries clearer than titebond, seems slightly easier to clean up squeeze out that titebond which gets overly gummy pretty quick sometimes making it kinda harder. All in all so far I think it's a fine glue. Will I use it OVER titebond... dunno, I don't notice enough improvement to warrant not using my GIANT like gallon jug of titebond at home... but may I buy a bottle and use it for select tasks and give it another go on some more builds, sure.

Chris

I've heard overwhelming good stuff about it. Never treid it myself.

Chris, I'd dicth the big tub of titebond for lutherie - unless you're really cranking out the instruments you'll end up using it past it's best. Small bottles, reguarly replaced ensure you keep using fresh glue, which is important for stressed joints like those in guitars and basses. If you dig around on the MIMF there is a lot in info on glue life and how to interpret the date code on your glues.

Yeah, I didn't know this until Rich read the thread and told me that. However, the tub's only been bought last christmas... so I've got atleast til next christmas (and titebond SHOULD last 2 years they say... but I won't to that point) to use as much as I can. I'll probably give half to my woodworking neighbor now.

Chris

I've heard largely good things about it, with a couple of bad reports/folks going back to titebond, even after repeated bottles. Like titebond, it's temperature sensitive and date sensitive, only doubly so, if what I read's to be believed. Apparently it starts to smell sort of funny when it goes off, and there are indications that the real usable shelf life may only be around the 6 month mark.

Mind you, I buy my titebond when it's unlikely to freeze during shipping (my local glue supplier won't order in the winter months, f'r instance, since it's shipped direct to them from the US; if they're out, they're out, and tough nubbins), and I refuse to use it for anything critical (ie, for any guitar building) once the manufacture date is over a year old, or earlier if it smells funky. Titebond's cheap, after all.

...which reminds me, I need to order another bottle :-)