ACG build progress.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Wez.

The plan is to spray it black.

Alan

With all of the amazing work you've done on the exotic woods, it must feel a little off to do one in a plain wood and just paint it black. It seems a little boring by comparison, but I'm sure it's a welcome change of pace.

It is a prototype so I don't really use the exotic woods on one of these. I still put in the same degree of work and it is no less in my eyes for being plain wood. However don't write it as a bit boring just yet. This one may have a peizo bridge feeding into one channel of my pre-amp and the other for the magnetic pickup so it should sound pretty good for a fretless. But then again I may leave it as a single pickup version not fully decided yet this is the fun of building them for your own entertainment.

Alan

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that the craftsmanship was any less. I'm just thinking about the extra effort that goes into prepping a heavily spalted top, lining up the crazy grain, extra pinstripe laminates, or some other time-consuming detail work. This alder body that'll be painted black would be a breeze in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first Finn bass. It has been on the go for a while but due to some problems getting the headless hardware it has ground to a halt at the moment.

The spec

Finn body shape but modified to accommodate headless hardware.

Wenge body with a Bloodwood accent and a Mac Ebony top.

Neck Wenge/Bloodwood 5 piece with a Mac Ebony finger board with Bloodwood binding.

2736536528_edf175dde3.jpg

Thought this might be of interest. Bookmatched fingerboard for a 9 string bass. The boards is acrylic impregnated spalted maple from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods.

2735615855_33a9eb78a2.jpg

I've been wondering if anyone had the gumption to do a bookmatched fretboard. Go figure it'd be you. :D

I must have missed that one, I never would have thought of that.

The nine string does give you plenty of room to make the bookmatch really work well. I also have a 5 string in the works which has a bookmatched fingerboard made from the same board as the one above.

Peters neck now fretted and I will say it again that ebony is perfect.

2738870510_351b80da7b.jpg

Thought this might be of interest. Bookmatched fingerboard for a 9 string bass. The boards is acrylic impregnated spalted maple from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods.

2735615855_33a9eb78a2.jpg

I've been wondering if anyone had the gumption to do a bookmatched fretboard. Go figure it'd be you. :D

I must have missed that one, I never would have thought of that.

Looks like there are two truss rods under there though, so no direct pressure on the join itself, which seems to be what most people think is the problem with bookmatched fretboards...

Heggis

Cheers Travis.

A new build just under way.

A Harlot 4 string fretless.

Spec

Flame Sycamore top with a Butternut body.

5 piece maple/mac ebony neck with a Ziracote acrylic impregnated finger board from Gallery Hardwoods .It will have partial fret lines.

Single ACG RFB pickup and a piezobridge.

Details on the hook up of the piezo still to be sorted out. Should have the piezo output feeding in to one of the filters in the pre-amp with magnetic pickup going in to the other.

2766474178_ba4453e6e3.jpg

Recurve Single Cut 5

Claro Walnut top and back with a Black Limba core and black veneer contrast veneer.

Neck Bubinga/wenge 5 piece Mac ebony fingerboard.

ACG RFB in the bridge FB in neck with coil switching

ACG filter pre-amp 18 volt option with low battery indicator.

Mac ebony knobs for the pre-amp.

Oil finish.

2789987228_38966a9887.jpg

More pics

Edited by skelf