For Those Who Have Not Seen This...

I wouldn't have the Patience for that. I like to see real progress in a build and spending weeks doing that would not interest me one bit. Just doing block inlays on the fret board is about all the patience I have.

It brings to mind 10 cc's song "Art for arts sake".

Now I'm really showing my age as I can imagine some younger folk have never heard of them.

its kinda tastelessly beautiful

You have to keep in mind it is a commemorative piece of Martin history. IMHO it's awesome! I've done one traditional "Tree of Life" inlay on a Brazilian finger-board and I'll probably never do another. It took three months overall. I worked as much as I could stand every day some times only an hour at a time. I got headaches and soon after I had to start wearing glasses for close up work. I have nothing but respect for the guy. As long as that guitar survives he will be remembered in history.

After reading some of the comments in this topic I had to laugh a little. I agree with most of your opinions on the inlay being "over the top", but I believe that was the idea behind the guitar(it is a show piece) showcasing the highest level of skill. There are very few people out there that are capable of achiving that level of detail by hand. I suspect Martin would have never accepted just a tree of life or dragon(although that probably would have been more tasteful to the masses). Ask yourself how many years it would take you to do that inlay.

Personally, I did get some ideas from seeing how some of the work was done on the sides. Looking close at the graver work I picked up a couple ideas. I seriously doubt I will ever place that much inlay on one of my guitars, but I sure am getting some ideas from here and there.

Peace,

Rich