Mahogany Bass

hello!

started making some sawdust today 05022007018.jpg

this is gonna be my first bass.

some specs have changed:

34" scale. 4 strings.

mahogany body.

ebony fretboard.

set neck - mahogany, ipe or something else. not sure yet. I'm still looking for some wood that may be the middle ground between those two. I'll let you know as soon as I make up my mind.

EMG J set.

oil finish.

hope you guys like it!

Edited by Hector

I like the shape. You move faster than me, that is for certain!

set neck - mahogany, ipe or something else. not sure yet. I'm still looking for some wood that may be the middle ground between those two. I'll let you know as soon as I make up my mind.

I vote for purple heart. Stiff, strong, not as heavy or hard as Ipe, and local to you. Oh, and the only wood I can think of the might move as little as mahogany.

of course . . . it's purple :D I still think Jatoba is good too, but it's also super hard and heavier.

Edited by ToddW

I like the shape. You move faster than me, that is for certain!

I vote for purple heart. Stiff, strong, not as heavy or hard as Ipe, and local to you. Oh, and the only wood I can think of the might move as little as mahogany.

of course . . . it's purple :D I still think Jatoba is good too, but it's also super hard and heavier.

hey todd, I went to every wood shop in my town looking for some more wood choices, but I couldn't find jatoba or purpleheart, aparently, the wood market here is dictaded by the wood of choice of furniture designers. and that wood right now is imbuya.

Looked for pau-marfim too, hard wood, light colored and nice to work, but couldn't find it.

the problem here in brazil is that we have a large selection of woods, but they're very hard to find. unless you live in the north region, i've been told that even the price is 10 times cheaper there. but i'm gonna stay in this quest for neck woods.

i'll let you know as soon as I find something!

thanks for the input.

laminate neck maybe? flame maple/purple heart/flame maple/mahogany/flame maple/purple heart/flame maple, that would look really nice on it :D

I wish I could make a laminate neck, but I don't have the power tools to make it. so it's gonna be solid. but I'm still tryin' to see what I can do about that.

and maple is almost impossible to find here in brazil.

:D

laminate neck maybe? flame maple/purple heart/flame maple/mahogany/flame maple/purple heart/flame maple, that would look really nice on it :D

I wish I could make a laminate neck, but I don't have the power tools to make it. so it's gonna be solid. but I'm still tryin' to see what I can do about that.

and maple is almost impossible to find here in brazil.

:D

Hi Hector,

Since you a guy who'd consider trying to shape an ipe neck without power tools . . . you can do it.

You have a saw. . . or you couldn't have made that body. So if you have a plane, some course sandpaper, and a very flat surface, you could make a laminated neck. I'd stick to just three pieces since it's bit of work, but it can be done! Once you get close to flat using your starting surface, you basically make three strait edges the old fashioned way. A roll of stick on sandpaper makes this easier because you can match the edges by rubbing the boards together and changing which has the sandpaper and their orientation. Your reference board is the one with the sand paper on it. . . . Here's a sight a quick yahoo search turned up:

http://home.comcast.net/~jaswensen/machine...aight_edge.html

Todd

i think he was talking about a thinknesser to do a laminated neck possibly and trust me it would be exrtreamly hard to do as good a job as a thinknesser with a planer and some sand paper ive tryed it i thought i was doing an ok job but then th thicknesser did it way better