Push/pull Pots: Volume -> Tone?

grungehead

well im sure its possible,

but i cant find any diagrams.

can you mod this one?

i want to have a separate volume for the neck pickup, and a push/pull volume/master tone for the bridge

(so there are only 2 knobs)

thank for your help guys

~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~

i dont really use tone. so im just going to use 1 neck pup volume and for my bridge pup a push/pull volume:single coil.

im 87% sure emg's are capable of that...

anyways thanks for all of your guy's help.

peace, jon.

Edited by grungehead

A push-pull knob is just a switch cleverly hidden in the shape of a knob. It won't act as both a volume and a tone, and *couldn't*, for logical reasons. That's the answer you need. :D

What you really want, to have the appearance of 2 knobs, is a "cocentric" knob, which is 2 stacked knobs occupying roughly the same physical space. You could use the diagram you showed, since a dual cocentric pot is still literally 2 separate potentiometers, for 3 in total-- like the diagram.

---

But, it's prompting me to think a bit outside of the box. Off to dreamland we go:

Imagine, a knob like some of us have on car stereos, in which there is "friction" when in the "down" position for adjusting the pot. The range wouldn't have to be infinitely rotatable-- it'd still have a set range that you could feel by turning all the way down or up. But when you lift, it engages an independent shaft and releases the "volume" shaft. Turn the knob to set the tone you want. Press down again to change volume. In such a knob, it'd actually be the SHAFT that determines the position of the wiper for each independent potentiometer. The knob itself would just engage one shaft or the other. So, the shafts would be cocentric, but the up/down position of the knob would allow you to adjust one or the other.

Not so sure it's an improvement over dual-cocentric, but I'm just thinking aloud...

Greg

I think it can be done (not the pot Greg dreamed about, the other one) but you will not be able to operate the bridge vol at the same time, meaning it will go on full vol when tweaking the tone. The neck vol can be tweaked when using the tone, though. You can of cause work around this to get this configuration: All you have to do is take your push pull pot and start to wire it like a normal vol. Then INSTEAD of going directly to ground you wire it to one of the middle lugs of the switch part of the push pull. Now wire one of the outer lugs directly to ground and one to ground VIA the capacitor. If I’m not totally wrong this should work. Try it and get back to us with the result

All you have to do is take your push pull pot and start to wire it like a normal vol. Then INSTEAD of going directly to ground you wire it to one of the middle lugs of the switch part of the push pull. Now wire one of the outer lugs directly to ground and one to ground VIA the capacitor. If I’m not totally wrong this should work. Try it and get back to us with the result

i dont really use tone at all so having a knob that switches your bridge volume to full blast would be cool.

i cant really picture what your saying-- can you make a diagram?

thanks for all your help

All you have to do is take your push pull pot and start to wire it like a normal vol. Then INSTEAD of going directly to ground you wire it to one of the middle lugs of the switch part of the push pull. Now wire one of the outer lugs directly to ground and one to ground VIA the capacitor. If I’m not totally wrong this should work. Try it and get back to us with the result

i dont really use tone at all so having a knob that switches your bridge volume to full blast would be cool.

thanks for all your help

Then why did you want the tone in the first place?...

A push/pull that switches to full volume combined with a volume pot does seem very useless....it's probably faster just to turn the knob up than pulling it out.

If you want separate volumes but no tone then go with two volume knobs.

push/pulls are also quite expensive compared to regular pots

Klicky

With hthis you get volume and tone for bridge on the same pot. If you would like to have vol for bridge at #1 and tone (when pulled) on #2 then move the push pull polt to be in the place were the neck pot is now in the schematic. But still wire the wire fron the bridge vol pot to the switch on the neck pickup pot. But that is a comletly different circuit....

thanks for all your help

Then why did you want the tone in the first place?...

A push/pull that switches to full volume combined with a volume pot does seem very useless....it's probably faster just to turn the knob up than pulling it out.

If you want separate volumes but no tone then go with two volume knobs.

push/pulls are also quite expensive compared to regular pots

i should of rephrased it as

"i barely use tone"

i do like to have it though..

im definately thinking of the two volume then.

a push pull pot is only 12 bucks or so from allparts.com

i might just use it to split my emg from humbucker to single coil.

i dont necessarily know how to do that but you get the idea.

Klicky

With hthis you get volume and tone for bridge on the same pot. If you would like to have vol for bridge at #1 and tone (when pulled) on #2 then move the push pull polt to be in the place were the neck pot is now in the schematic. But still wire the wire fron the bridge vol pot to the switch on the neck pickup pot. But that is a comletly different circuit....

thanks for your help swedish. :D

Thats more or less the same thing. And I thought that I was original when I came up with that circuit... :D