Claro Walnut Pair

I just finished up the last guitar to be made in my Orchard Park shop. The next ones will be out of the new Seattle, WA location. This one is a Dragonfly Supreme model with some absolutely wicked flamed Claro Walnut. It features a pickup system from Pickup The World and an 18 volt preamp. I decided to do a burst on the back of this one and I like it. I may start doing this on more of these. The details are all ebony and Amboyna burl. The tuning keys are Waverly with ebony buttons covered in Amboyna veneer for a very cool look. The electronics are standard Dragonfly with a master volume and tone, and a series/single/parallel knob for each pickup. Very configurable for a lot of great tones. I put flat wound strings on this one from Thomastik-Infeld. If you have not tried them you should. These are the best flatwounds I have every played. They have all the range of roundwounds with a smoother, quieter sound.

Here is a pic:

28.jpg

For more pictures click here.

~David

The next one is made by a good friend of mine Eric Zimmerman. He used all of my templates and made this amazing guitar for himself. It has another wicked flamed Claro Walnut top on it along with a cocobolo neck that has some great figuring throughout. The binding is snakewood and the fingerboard is Brazilian rosewood. Simple master volume, master tone, and a 3-way. This guitar smokes!

Here is a pic:

20.jpg

For more pics click here.

I am now finishing up the last few things before I pack up the few tools left in the shop. Then I hit the road for a few to visit some friends and make my way across the country to Seattle. See you on the West Coast!

~David

Beautiful work once again. I love the look of the walnut. (I'm kicking myself now for not picking up some comparable pieces when I had the opportunity just because I have no re-saw capabilities right now…)

Once again you've made some beautiful work with some over-the-top woods that manage to avoid looking guady. A fine line to tread and you manage to strike the perfect balance.

Good luck with the move!

Wow, what a great way to finish up in the old shop! That Dragonfly is my favorite so far, but I seem to say that with each one that comes out. :D

That walnut is simply incredible. Excellent workmanship, as always.

Best of luck with the move, and I look forward to seeing the next projects.

so does this guitar have acoustic pickups in it aswell

i was tempted to try this on my hollow body does it sound good??

Sure does. I really like the PUTW pickups on these hollowbodies. I use an undersaddle pickup and another soundboard pickup and wire them together through the preamp. Simple and sounds great. These pickups are very transparent with a warm, organic tone.

This will be my last post for a bit. I will catch up with you all when I get setup in Seattle. I will post some pics of the new shop then.

Take care!

~David