Done Video

Nice!

Cool, Paul!

I personally would've been tempted to trim off the excess fingerboard that extends past your last fret. But that's just me. :D

You might also want to review your wiring. There's no way for me to say for sure, but the gain of your amp is emphasizing a fairly prominent hum, which unless you're absolutely bombarded with RFI/EMI, shouldn't be quite so audible. At high gain, you'll usually hear at least a LITTLE, but that's quite a lot. It sounds like there's a ground loop in your wiring. The good news-- an easy fix!

Greg

Yeah, I figured there's something wrong with it. I didn't ground the strings cuz I'd rather have permanent buzz than a buzz that goes on and off. I think the video overplayed the buzz cuz it's not that loud in real life.

Does it only go "off" when you touch the strings (the usual situation, if it's grounded right)? Since there's almost no time that both your left and right hands are off the strings or bridge (you can have your palm touching the strings past the bridge even) that means that it'll only "cut in" with buzz like... 1% of the time. I'd rather have my guitar buzz and hum only 1% of the time instead of 100%!

Then again, if you knew me you'd know that the absolute bane of my existence is my EMI/RFI-littered apartment. I can't stand recording because I always hear the hum, even with my properly-wired humbucker-equipped guitars. It leaks into my preamps... unavoidable... and makes my life miserable. So I'm a bit psychotic when it comes to hum and I can't relate to tolerating it even for a second, never mind intentionally keeping it wired so that it always hums!

:D

Greg

Right with you! I also hate hum, the end of a song should go, widly didly widly didly ------- kerrang, not widly didly widly didly ---------- kerrang hummmmmmmmmmm :D

You might want to try lining the cavity or pickguard with copper shielding foil,

4ubnprp.jpg

and connect all the ground wires and the bridge or tail stop to the copper shield. This stops the pups from humming and buzzing even at the huge preamp gains that many of us like. For complete and absolute silence in the breaks a noise gate set at 10 o clock, before the preamp does the trick.

Edited by Muzz

Aluminum foil will work, but you have to plan it out better and be trickier with it for a few reasons:

- the copper foil's adhesive is also conductive, so you can just stick'em all over. Aluminum you have to make sure that one piece remains continuous with the next. Eg. that your adhesive of choice doesn't create an insulating barrier between pieces

- the copper foil is sturdier, so it's easier to "work" it into corners 'n' stuff.

I've used both. The Aluminum foil is at least a LITTLE better if you use spray adhesive instead of bothering with anything else.

Unfortunately, my dang apartment and its crazy levels of hum are leaking into my gear moreso than my guitar, so not much can save me except moving to a new apartment. :D

Greg

depends on how glossy you want it. Most people would probably recommend Tru Oil for a more natural and somewhat less glossy finish. It's supposed to be quite easy to apply. Otherwise a slightly darker stain and a nitro clearcoat would be the way to go. That will be nice and glossy, but is a lot more work.